• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Getting Jack Dempsey, And Other Babies Free

hudson21222

Members
There was a gentleman who's wife was breeding Jack Dempsey's, and another breed of African Cichlid.
They are moving from Germantown Md to Westminster. And he asked if I would be interested in some Jack Dempseys, and ohter breed I forgot the name. He said they where all 2" in size.

I have a 50 gal. tank cycling in another room, other then my main 120 gal. tank. He is giving me another 125 gal tank, and several 40 gal. and 2 50 gal. Tanks with stands. If anyone is interested in any of the Cichlids let me know. I also needed to know what I should use to clean these tanks with?

I have an entire basement empty, besides a washer and dryer. So I plan on storing the tanks there I figure if I can get free tanks, the elbow grease to clean them and maybe resealing them would be worth it to me. Plus I figure I could sell a few for cheap to get some extra money for fish food....lol.

If someone knows something I maybe over looking let me know.

maddog10

Members
Try cleaning the tanks with just water first, you can use a soft cloth or sponge.

Sounds like you are well on your way to MTS (Multi Tank Syndrome). We all suffer from it, several members (myself included) have 20 tanks or more up and running.

Sounds like you got a very good deal on those tanks, can't beat FREE. You can bring some of the fish to our meeting and put them in the auction. I wouldn't bring more than 5 or 6 of each kind though - don't want to flood the market. They need to be bagged though, just like a fish store would do. Actually, fish stores may be interested in buying some of the fish from you.

mscichlid

Founder
First, lucky scoop on that free 125! Welcome to the world of Cichlids and free tanks.

How to clean the tanks depends on what you're trying to clean off the glass.

What I do for a general cleaning of used tanks is one cup of bleach in a pail of water or a small amount of bleach in a spray bottle. Wipe it down and then rinse it with a spray bottle with dechlorinator and then another rinse with tap water. This method is better done outside where you could utilize a garden hose. If there is a buildup of calcium or other crud like dried algae, I would use a razor blade or a scrubby pad. The only and best scrubby pad to use are the ones sold in the dollar stores that DO NOT have any soap or additives. I usually cut them in half to get more for my money to use on cleaning filters and other fish related items.

Other folks on here may have other methods. Hopefully, those who would like to share pertinent information will chime in.

Francine

Sonny Disposition

Good advice, Franny. The only thing I would add is that if there is a buildup of dried calcium carbonate, use a sponge with some vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will dissolve the basic calcium.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Apr 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First, lucky scoop on that free 125! Welcome to the world of Cichlids and free tanks.

How to clean the tanks depends on what you're trying to clean off the glass.

What I do for a general cleaning of used tanks is one cup of bleach in a pail of water or a small amount of bleach in a spray bottle. Wipe it down and then rinse it with a spray bottle with dechlorinator and then another rinse with tap water. This method is better done outside where you could utilize a garden hose. If there is a buildup of calcium or other crud like dried algae, I would use a razor blade or a scrubby pad. The only and best scrubby pad to use are the ones sold in the dollar stores that DO NOT have any soap or additives. I usually cut them in half to get more for my money to use on cleaning filters and other fish related items.

Other folks on here may have other methods. Hopefully, those who would like to share pertinent information will chime in.

Francine[/b]