• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

getting close to switching up my 185 need some stocking ideas

Goonie

CCA Members
I know I want an Oscar just for the water puppy effect, so I am trying to stock around that. I have 0 back ground in Newworld cichlids.

In this tank will be a school of 11 clowns *smallest is 3 inches largest is just under 5* I am wanting to do an Ornate Bichir and maybe one or two others that get to the 15-20 inch mark.(all lg bichirs will eventually move to the 500+ gallon coming in a couple years maybe will move my marbleds,delhizi, and sense over there as well and just make it a polly pond)

So with lg bichirs, clowns, and an Oscar, what are some other high personality tank mates ? Would it be worth forgoing the bichirs and trying a fire eel ?
I was thinking 1 Oscar, 1 Chocolate, 1 Red Shoulder Sevrum, and maybe 3 geos.

The back of the tank will be a tangle of spider wood with anubius attached to the back side (trying to keep it safe from the cichlids if it works it works if it doesn't Ill move the plants.)
Substrate will be a base of lg grain sand with a little tiny gravel and some river rocks mixed in with a couple larger rocks at the base of the wood wall with a few lg pieces of mopani scatters about.

I am in no rush so I have time to make changes and work out the final stocking.

Tank is 185 and gets weekly 40% WCs with 2 fx6s a lg sponge and an AC110

on a separate note does any one in group breed fire cracker trophius ?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It has been a long time since I kept an oscar, but once they get to adult size, they would likely try to eat anything that fits in their mouth. That said, i never saw them as "predators", but rather opportunistic omnivores. Same goes with the severums I have kept over the years. If a tetra swims by and they can snack on it, they will, but they aren't going out trying to eat everything in the tank.

With the size loaches you have now, I really wouldn't worry much about them being trouble with either species.