• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

German Rams: To herem or not 2 herem?

Fishn'

CCA Members
Any feedback on three female German Rams with a male? I know they pair up, but will this work as well or will the single female Rams get bullied all the time?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
It is a great situation to have more females than males for GB rams, particularly in a tank that is mainly for show. That way the male does not focus on one female who might not be ready to spawn.

It is also a good situation if you want to get a spawn, but the size of the tank can play a role. If the tank is too small, the extra females can interfere with the pair that is spawning. But if the tank is around a 20-long, there is plenty of room and the extra females then are more like dithers. Dithers can make the spawning pair better parents because they need to protect the eggs and fry. But remember to keep a light on or night light on at night so the parents can continue to protect their spawn.

Fishn'

CCA Members
Frank, I'm resurrecting an old thread here. I have sought out this question from three other aquarium shop owners/long term employees. Two say no herem and one says yes. I am on the side of your statement. I just watch the male Ram almost all day chase the female to the point of exhaustion and not eating. I feel three in there would distribute the strain. I know they are pairing fish, but we shall see.

Fishn'

CCA Members
40 g, 79 degrees, lot's of amazon swords and blixia, substantial drift wood with many "caves" and nooks, one medium synthetic cave.

stany

CCA Members
I started with 7 juv's with a Gold tossed in my the seller. The first pair started breeding in 2 months. I gave them to my grandson for his tank and they never spawned after that. My remaining 5 ended up being a 1M/3F colony and 1M/1F pair. The breeder I bought them from sent along a sample Bolivian Golden male that ended up paring up with one of the GBR females. Never saw either spawn. They lasted a year. 78 degrees, 7.0 ph. Dither fish of Cardinal tetra, Beckford Pencilfish did fine.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
At this point and seeing your tank size, I’d keep 1:1 males and females but go with 2-3 “pairs”. This give them the chance to chose mates as well as fend off other fish from their eggs if they spawn.

stany

CCA Members
I think they are very cool fish to keep. Have some Bolivian Butterfly juv's I got from last months meeting speaker I'm enjoying. Under 1 inch but already males are locking jaws for dominance. Looks like the one on top is a male. The bottom one does not have a red belly but blue spots on the first stripe... I think.

Fishn'

CCA Members
Cool fish indeed. The Bolivians have a great personality. I have one in another tank. The bottom Ram's belly really reddened up today.

KRUCIAN KING

Members
I love Bolivians Rams my group of three males have been in my 72 gallon tank for over 7 years the one female I had died about 3 years ago.

Fishn'

CCA Members
I have had my German Blues in a herem for about 6 days now. 3 F x 1 M. It has really chilled out the male and they all seem pretty happy. The pair have still stayed together but all are "calmer".