• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Georgia Aquarium

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Visiting the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta today, great aquarium from what I’ve seen so far, it’s the largest aquarium in the USA, and one of the biggest in the world.

Have an otter experience scheduled later , and will be scuba diving in the whale shark exhibit later. I can’t take any pictures from within the exhibit but I’ll post any decent pictures family might get.

I heard they have some cichlids here too, will post pictures after I find them later.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
That big viewing window is amazing. I spent hours in front of it when the ACA Convention was in Atlanta.

Becca

Members
OMFG... that is bucket list material for me. I've been dying to go there for longer than I can remember. Have an awesome time!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Was an amazing dive, just haven’t had the time to look at pictures and post something cohesive though. Paid for the professional video that was shot during our dive, will post that if I can. Aquarium was amazing overall, took some pictures of their discus and Tanganyikan tanks also.

CichlidDan

Members
Was an amazing dive, just haven’t had the time to look at pictures and post something cohesive though. Paid for the professional video that was shot during our dive, will post that if I can. Aquarium was amazing overall, took some pictures of their discus and Tanganyikan tanks also.
Very cool! Looking forward to the pics

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Definitely recommend it to anyone that can make the trip. Going to try and download then post some pictures later tonight.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I really want to get back down there. Been 10 years. We only hit the aquarium and the World of Coke when we were there that year.
Heck the only thing I even remember about that place is that big viewing window with the whale sharks.
But that's all I need to remember. LOL

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Been meaning to post some pictures for a while, finally getting around to it. Some pictures from within the 'tunnel' underneath the Whale Shark/Manta Ray tank.

21280212812128221283IMG_1543.JPGIMG_1545.JPGIMG_1552.JPGIMG_1573.JPG

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Looks like aboves were duplicated. Tried to fix but still shows doubles. Oh well, FYI. Some pictures from the large acrylic viewing window:
212842128521286212872128821289IMG_1581.JPGIMG_1583.JPGIMG_1590.JPGIMG_1596.JPGIMG_1599.JPGIMG_1604.JPG

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Looks like duplicated again. Will try a different way. Some shots from above the tank (inflatable boats on the surface are being used to feed the whale sharks:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have some pictures from other areas of the aquarium, will post some of those soon.

I've also been meaning to post about the show on Animal Planet that shows some of the work done at the Georgia Aquarium, appropriately titled The Aquarium. New episodes are on Sundays at 9PM, I think they always show the previous week's episode at 8PM. I've been meaning to post for a while since the 8th episode is coming up. Episodes can also be streamed at the AP website:

https://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/the-aquarium/

Here's a youtube clip of some content, it's not always aquarium based, but generally interesting to anyone who appreciates all aquatic animals.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
How did you get the above the tank shots? I was there at the end of April, and I don't recall any option that would have allowed me to see behind the scenes? I went shortly before closing and had the place almost to myself. That was great.

Blaise

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
How did you get the above the tank shots? I was there at the end of April, and I don't recall any option that would have allowed me to see behind the scenes? I went shortly before closing and had the place almost to myself. That was great.

Blaise
That was before our dive, during the 'orientation.' The first above tank photo is near the platform where entry is made.