• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Full of eggs or something wrong?

One of my Serbae tetra either went on a feeding rampage or is ready to drop a load... insight? None of the others looking even remotely close to this.
20180527_160647.jpg 20180527_160659.jpg

Fish still looks like this and is eating and swimming like the rest of the herd. None of the rest of the herd seems to have contracted whatever the issue is so I'll just let him/her ride it out.

JLW

CCA Members
That looks like one of two things, though its hard to tell in the pic. The Serpae Tetra could be eggbound. This happens when a female develops eggs and is unable to lay them for whatever reason (often a lack of suitable males, though physiological problems can, as well). The internal egg mass hardens, and the fish cannot pass it. They may also be rotting internally. If this is the case, the prognosis isn't good, and small fish like this virtually always die. In some cases, the eggs can be expelled by gently massaging the mass. In some cases, the fish will expel them herself, particularly if she's moved into a tank with a bunch of males. In most cases, by the time she's swollen enough to notice, it's too late (this would be different if it were, say, a 6" long cichlid).

The other possibility is a disease called dropsy. The way to tell which it is is what's swollen. If its primarily the ovary area, it's probably egg bound. If its the whole fish, its dropsy. Note that egg bound fish can develop dropsy when they're too far gone.

Dropsy is NOT a disease, but a symptom, and I would be cautious about any treatment that "cures" dropsy. Essentially, what's happened is that the fish has bad infection, and is no longer able to expel fluids properly. Fluid is building up inside of the fish which can indicate poor kidney function, or simply a build up of what's essentially pus. The body swells, the scales may stick out ("pinecone" disease), and there may be secondary infections. Sometimes the eyes pop out, too ("popeye"). It's all the same stuff going on. If the infection has proceeded to the point where the fish is swollen noticeably, like that one, it is almost always fatal, particularly among small fish like this.

The infection may be disease related, but it may also simply be from an injury or wound, age, or something physically off about the fish. If it is just one fish, I wouldn't worry.

In theory, you can save the fish. Relocate it to a hospital tank, and keep the water warm (78°-85°F). Add an aged sponge filter. Treat with a broad range antibiotic, such as nitrofuranazone. Hopefully it'll make it.

The final possibility for a swollen fish is just bloat. Just like people, sometimes you eat something that doesn't agree, eat too much, or whatever, and you get a food baby. Generally, that comes and goes, and is not accompanied by swollen scales. This does not look like the case! (Note that this is separate from the type of bloat that effects mbuna/tropheus/etc and is dietary).

Becca

Members
Sometimes my really old fish get like this. Eventually they start swimming sideways, but it's a lengthy decline. Sometimes it's only on one side of the body, sometimes it's evenly distributed.

paul

CCA Members
I hope your Tetra recovers! It's too bad the potential sources of the issue are so serious because I think it looks kinda cute, like a balloon variant.