• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS Corydoras sp. ?Geryi? group of 4 $800. OBO

Hicgup

Members
cory sp7.jpg
I have a group of four of these, identified by Eric Bodrock (via several photos) as most likely C. geryi.
Was going to make a serious attempt at breeding, but willing to part (need to make room for other projects) if the right person is willing to pay the right price. Ian Fuller was in Peru, and not able to weigh in on identification. If not C. geryi, then next possible candidate would be C. Pantanalensis, another uber rare cory.
I believe I either have two pair, or a harem of one male and three females.
Serious questions and offers pm me.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Eric is pretty good at identifying corys, so I'd trust his ID. C. pantanalensis males look like brochis when not in breeding colors. If the fish you pictured have that pattern all the time, I'd concur with C. geryi.

Both are cool, larger corys that would do any owner proud. Good luck with sale.

Blaise

Hicgup

Members
Eric is pretty good at identifying corys, so I'd trust his ID. C. pantanalensis males look like brochis when not in breeding colors. If the fish you pictured have that pattern all the time, I'd concur with C. geryi.
The pattern comes when the male is in

Both are cool, larger corys that would do any owner proud. Good luck with sale.

Blaise
The pattern appears when the male is in the mood, but it comes and goes. Does not always look like that, picture does not do the fish justice though, pattern much stronger better looking in person. Yes, Eric was the best i could get a hold of to i.d. the fish, only better person i knoq of would be Ian Fuller.

Hicgup

Members
First, let me say that the title reads OBO, so obviously I am willing to negotiate on price.
Honestly if someone were to drive to Hampton to pick them up in person, I'd drop $200. off the price just because it means the person cares that much about them to not even risk shipping.
As to what they are worth, yes it is up to the buyer, but C. pantanalensis has 26 registered keepers on Planet Catfish, C geryi has FOUR!
And the last time Eric Bodrock had C. pantanalensis for sale he SOLD the ten he had for $2,500. and this is an actual quote from the Aqubid listing
"A beautiful group of 10 of what is regarded by many as the single most desirable Cory in the world, today.
One of the most sought after fish in the hobby for many decades. ABSOLUTE LAST GROUP!! ACT NOW!!!
They are in perfect health and condition.

DON'T PASS THESE UP!!! YOU MAY NEVER SEE THESE AGAIN FOR AS LONG AS YOU LIVE.
I HAVE RAISED THE PRICE ON THIS GROUP BECAUSE SOMEONE INSULTED ME BY OFFERING ME $1950 FOR THE GROUP. WHAT A PIKER!!!!
IF THEY DON"T SELL THIS TIME I WILL RAISE THE PRICE, AGAIN."

b considine

I saw those C. pantanalensis (among other drool-worthy corys). They were gorgeous. I ended up buying some C. negro, C. gossei and Aspidoras CW052 (aka "black fin").

So, Steve, were you the buyer?

Blaise

finzz

Members
I'd never go up against Eric for Cory ID, but I always thought the main difference between C. pantanalensis and C. geryi was that the latter had markings in the dorsal and tail and the former did not. Quite possibly Eric saw something in other pictures that isn't shown in the one posted here. Either way, they are a way cool Corydoras and very hard to find.

Hicgup

Members
I saw those C. pantanalensis (among other drool-worthy corys). They were gorgeous. I ended up buying some C. negro, C. gossei and Aspidoras CW052 (aka "black fin").

So, Steve, were you the buyer?

Blaise
No, I was not that buyer. That is part of the reason that I listed the sale as Corydoras sp. with what was Eric Bodrock's best i.d. via several pictures, as C. geryi? I know Eric is a hell of a lot more qualified than I am to i.d. a Cory, but so far on mine there has never been any pattern in the dorsal fin of the males, making them look something more like C. pantanalensis. Either way they are pretty rare cories in the trade, especially in the states. My fish were purchased from a friend who actually had them in with what was supposed to be small Brochis. Well, a quick dorsal ray count rules Brochis out, even on the females. I bought all that he had, which was originally five fish, two males and three females. Unfortunately I had to move their tank in haste to make room for a more important project, and one fish got trapped in the groove of a sponge filter and died during the move. Until the fish get spawning patterns back, I do not know if it was a male or female that died, so therefore the group is now either one male and three females, or two pairs.
Saddened by the fact that I lost such a rare fish to having to quickly move their tank I am willing to sell them to the right person (somebody who knows how rare they are, and who is willing to pay a reasonable price for such a rare cory). If nobody is interested I will continue to work with them, at least until the Cat-Con, when I might drive them up to Herndon and surely find somebody that would like the opportunity.
I would prefer not to have to ship these fish, even with decades of experience shipping fish all over the country. That is one of the reasons I have not listed them on Aquabid or other national sites. I would prefer to drop them off in person or have them picked up.

b considine

To be honest, Steve, selling them at CatCon may be your best option. You'll have no shortage of experts to ID them (Ian, Eric, Hans-Georg, Luiz Tencatt, Rob McClure). Also, by then, perhaps the male will have colored up.

I really hope these find a good home. They're worth it.,

Blaise

finzz

Members
To be honest, Steve, selling them at CatCon may be your best option. You'll have no shortage of experts to ID them (Ian, Eric, Hans-Georg, Luiz Tencatt, Rob McClure). Also, by then, perhaps the male will have colored up.

I really hope these find a good home. They're worth it.,

Blaise

...and there will be a large group of people with a pocket full of catfish money just looking for the hard-to-find cats!

Hicgup

Members
Yes, I realize Cat-Con is the best chance of finding a truly interested person willing to spend at least one hundred bucks a fish for a Cory. And of course I know this IS a cichlid forum. Just thought I'd toss it out there, thinking maybe some catfish keepers are members here, or a member knows somebody that is a catfish freak. A big part of me doesn't want to sell them, (may never see another one in my life), but if I can re-coup at least what I have invested, then I might be willing to let them go. For $600 (a bit more than what I have invested), it is a done deal. And since this is a cichlid forum, I am open to trades if someone has a spectacular pair of large Discus, several good quality medium discus, or at least a couple of breeding pairs of Angelfish.

b considine

Steve,
I apologize if I came across as attempting to dissuade you from offering these fish here. It was not my intention. Frankly, if I had it in my budget, I'd be tempted.

I brought up CatCon because, as Don says, there's an knowledgeable audience of shoppers who recognize the true value of these fish.

Blaise

Hicgup

Members
Blaise, I appreciated your comments (and others that have chimed in), and by no means thought that anyone was pushing me away from the forum. I posted here, because I like this forum, and know that several members keep all types of fish. Plus since many participate in Potomac Valley, or other groups, I thought there was a chance word of mouth may prove helpful. Also, although I could use the space, we are only talking about 4 cories, so no worries if they don't sell (actually would hate to part with them), but if the right person will pay the right price, they are for sale.
Kind of like every once in a while I will post for sale here my MINT copy of South American Eartheaters by Weidner. I really don't want to sell the book, but the going rate is $400 to $590 a copy. Don't know if anybody is willing to pay that price, but I'd part with my copy for that kind of return. I do know, that Twice people have paid between $160 and $250 each for C. pantanalensis, and six times as many keepers have them as do geryi.
Again, I appreciate all the comments, and they still are for sale.

zendog

Come on Blaise, just go for it. The windfall will come from breeding them. Don't think of it as an extravagance, think of it as an investment in your retirement.

Hicgup

Members
Ahhhh, the "other" half of the equation enters the picture!
I am with this reply, bumping up to the top one last time,
I will now let this thread fade away, and will continue to work with this uber rare group of cories, and hope for egg production, in the meantime they will always be for sale for $800 OBO, $600 if picked up in person.
And these guys would be great bragging rights for someone who wants that "Extreme" South American Biotope tank!