• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS Black Banded Sunfish and Daphnia Delivery to Aquafest

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
For sale and delivery to Aquafest 2013 ( http://aquafest2013.org/ABrules.htm ).

Black Banded Sunfish $10 each These are native to the swamps of the east coast but becoming rarer in these swamps, and mostly it is illegal to collect them from these swamps. I have a permit from the state of Maryland to maintain, breed and sell these fish. Eight available.

Daphnia $5 a bag
Microworm culture in a plastic sandwich box $5
Grindal worm culture in a plastic food storage box $12
Vinegar eel in a plastic sandwich box $5

Becca

Members
Frank, are these fish you breed regularly? We're moving in a month and I want to set up a pond in the spring - would love some of these guys for the pond.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
These fish seem to need exposure to cold to spawn in the spring, but they spawn throughout the spring and early summer.

As for the regulations, if you get them from me, you have purchased/got them from a legal source. You can keep them in an aquarium and if they breed, no problem. But you might not be able to sell or trade them without the proper permits. You should check your state regulations. Each state is different, particularly those states that are not on the east coast, as far as the black banded sunfish are concerned.

Putting them outdoors in a pond may not be a problem unless you are close to a natural waterway. No one is allowed to reintroduce these to the wild. Only the state's own department of natural resources is allowed to do this as far as I know.

Becca

Members
Thanks for the info - I wouldn't be close enough to a natural water source for it to be a worry unless we got hit bad by a hurricane. I would take them now, but I can't dig the pond until spring, in the new house. I'm not putting anything else outside at our current place. Some ____________________ jumped my fence to p*ss in my whiskey barrel pond. Of course, today the same ________________'s were outside shooting squirrels with a bb gun.