• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Free (2) Male Neolamprologus Brevis Cichlids

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I purchased (4) Brevis almost 3 weeks ago when my order for Similis fell through. I was extremely excited, too excited I guess to notice that 3 of the 4 were roughly the same size and one was much smaller. I do not have the room to house the additional 2 Males and while I am sure my LFS would take them off my hands I would much rather give them to someone who wants them. I have some Similis coming on Wednesday and am going to use a divider to split my 20 Gallon Long Aquarium until I have a fully cycled aquarium for one of the species. Please reply to this thread or private message me if interested. I live in Lanham and am not far from Greenbelt/Bowie/Laurel. If you can pick them up that would be preferred but if not I am sure something can be worked out. I will be headed to Baltimore tomorrow so I can meet you along the way or in Baltimore if it would be easier.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I am so sorry, I guess I did not set this up correctly (I guess I should figure out how to go about doing that!). Someone picked them up last night so now I just have the pair but you are more then welcome to any fry that come as removing the additional males has started a lot of breeding behavior between the two remaining Brevis as I really have no desire to sell them but have no problem giving them away. Here is a photo of what will hopefully be the breeding pair.
QkdKd4K.jpg
If you want I will let you know if/when anything comes from this - or from the Similis but they have not even arrived yet and last time they never did so I am skeptical on that one.

Mr.Bee

Members
I am so sorry, I guess I did not set this up correctly (I guess I should figure out how to go about doing that!). Someone picked them up last night so now I just have the pair but you are more then welcome to any fry that come as removing the additional males has started a lot of breeding behavior between the two remaining Brevis as I really have no desire to sell them but have no problem giving them away. Here is a photo of what will hopefully be the breeding pair.
QkdKd4K.jpg
If you want I will let you know if/when anything comes from this - or from the Similis but they have not even arrived yet and last time they never did so I am skeptical on that one.
Ok thanks just keep me in mind.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Ok thanks just keep me in mind.
I definitely will. I really haven't taken the time to see what I can or cannot post here (Contact Info) but I will reach out once I see fry and then when they get big enough you are more then welcome to them. Did you just want Brevis or if (Fingers Crossed) the Similis come and out of 4 I end up with at least one pair would you like to know about them as well? This is my first time trying to breed African Cichlids although I did breed Oscars before and from what I have seen Shellies seem to be almost a live bearer when it comes to breeding so I think I will be fine. I have a feeling if I get too many more fish my wife might murder me so I will definitely need to re-home anything that comes from these tanks. Now to try to figure out how I set up messaging :)

Mr.Bee

Members
Hey bro this kind will be a first for me. I’ve had other Shellies before but wanted to add something different to my tank

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Oh awesome. So far I have to say they are extremely entertaining - much more so now that I no longer have such a terrible Male/Female ratio but that was entirely my fault. I am at work but cant stop checking my email to ensure that my Similis actually ship since they have been a pain in the arse to get. I am also slightly concerned that my new tank is not fully cycled so may need to make a divider before they come because I cannot find any definitive information on having (2) Shell Dweller species together but with the size difference I Imagine it would be an issue. So far the Mickey Mouse Platys my daughter picked out seem to be fine with the Brevis although I honestly thought I lost 2 and after searching the tank found them inside shells. I know fish hide but it is extremely weird how they are mimicking certain behaviors. I know Platys are a far cry from another shell dweller species but if I could get the SImilis/Brevis to live in 1 tank it would be so much easier. I wonder if I use a taller tank if I could almost make 3 levels of Sand Beds but then I would have super deep sand in some sections which could be an issue unless I was able to use tile or something to raise the beds without using a ton of sand. Sorry for the long post, I am just avoiding going back to work.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Hey bro this kind will be a first for me. I’ve had other Shellies before but wanted to add something different to my tank
I think that there may be some Fry in the near future. For the past week or so the male will not allow the female to wander too far from their shell. Not only this but he has become protective to the point of biting my hand while cleaning if it gets too close. Him following her into the shell along with the fanning and other behaviors really leads me to believe that they have bred, are breeding, or are getting ready to. I will let you know when I see any fry. Now I just need to find out if I should remove the male or the female or the fry. I know Similis tend to be great parents but I am not too sure about Brevis. Here is a short video of how they have been spending the last few days.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Looks like you have/will have fry soon. Keep us updated. Also, may be good to post another place on the forum for this breeding activity.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Looks like you have/will have fry soon. Keep us updated. Also, may be good to post another place on the forum for this breeding activity.
Thanks I am hoping so that way I am more ready for the Similis. I have been writing down what I see and taking as many photos and videos as possible so I just need to get it all together. After I see get I am going to document that as well. I haven't found too much information on this species so may help someone else.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Documenting your breeding journals here or anywhere is always a good idea. It’s even better if it is a species that not many people keep. That’s why I suggested starting a thread somewhere other than the marketplace. Start with species, tank size, water parameters, and tank decor/tank mates.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
It should be an entertaining read considering having a terrible male to female ratio, killing off my beneficial bacteria by adding sand that was wet and not dechlorinated, finally getting the Similis (the fish I originally wanted), creating a divider, realizing this caused a filtration issue, adding a second filter on the other side of the divider, then having my Nitrites/Nitrates spike to a horrible level with no real explanation except that maybe my tank wasn't fully cycled although I did manage to not lose any fish so put one point in the plus column, getting Nitrates/Nitrites down through water change, deciding that I no longer want to use Proper PH 8.2 and adding some Texas Holy Rock which I still need to add to the Brevis's side and ordering crushed coral which I have placed a 1/4 of a cup into a 5 gallon bucket full of water from my tap with a pond filter pushing water through it to see if it changes any then finally coming home to disgusting brown algae that appeared out of no where. Now I just need to find a way to remove that, oh I almost forget, trying out different dither fish ;)

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Jim is right, got them from HOT. They only had 1 sad little Multi but a lot of Brevis. If you want a pair the females are WAY smaller and seem to be darker with more gold on their sides. I just took a random 4 and ended up with 3 males and 1 female so definitely choose wisely. I need to go back and try to get 1-2 more females.

Troyale

Members
Thanks guys, I saw them there. I was wondering if another store had some. I did end up getting three of them.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Locally I am not sure. I do know that www.Livefishdirect.com has them for a good price - shipping is only $25 for weekday delivery. They are $12.95 each and you save a certain % depending how many you get so 3 are 12.30 each 6 are $11.66 each and so on. If you email josh@livefishdirect.com he will email you photos since they don't have one listed with them.