• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fix My Plants!

Charlutz

Members
I have killed every kind of plant that I have tried to keep with my tanganyikans. Several kinds of anubias, red/green/brown crypts, vals, banana plants and java fern. I know I am fighting the water conditions, hard, high ph, but other people make it work. I have a 7x2x2 tank, with wet dry system. Nitrates are usually 5 ppm thanks to the plants and weekly water changes. 20 GH, 17 KH, 8.4 PH. I know the high oxygen in the water from the WD isn't good. But some of these plants are supposed to live even in these conditions! Lighting is 6x40w 48" daylight flourescent that I change every 4 months. I need help. I'll trade for help. I can build stands, canopies and WD filters. I have a drilled 48" 40g that used to be a sump. Might work as a display tank, but I need to clean it to see how scratched it might be. I have a WD tower that fits it. A fluval 303. A HOT Magnum 250 with bio wheel. If you can fix my plants, I'll make it worth your while!

Spine

Members
Charlutz,
What plants are still alive? Are you adding anything (feeding/ fertilizing) for the plants. Which ones have lived the longest and what is it that you are trying to achieve with the plants.

Charlutz

Members
Charlutz,
What plants are still alive? Are you adding anything (feeding/ fertilizing) for the plants. Which ones have lived the longest and what is it that you are trying to achieve with the plants.[/b]

I have about 4 anubias left, but they aren't looking so good. I've not added any food/ferts for them. I thought that if you fed them, you had to be adding CO2 as well? All I want with the plants is to add a little green.

Crveballin

Members
I would recommend getting some Vallisneria. I killed all the different plants before them and these seem to grow like weeds. They can take over a tank if unattended to but adds a nice green color to the tank.

I do not use ferts, CO2 or anything besides good lighting. Even then it is still on the low Watt/gallon range. Scales has a ton of it for cheap to start you off.

Charlutz

Members
Thanks Kevin -

As I mentioned above, I killed those too. :)

I would recommend getting some Vallisneria. I killed all the different plants before them and these seem to grow like weeds. They can take over a tank if unattended to but adds a nice green color to the tank.

I do not use ferts, CO2 or anything besides good lighting. Even then it is still on the low Watt/gallon range. Scales has a ton of it for cheap to start you off.[/b]

longstocking

Members
I have found when getting plants "going" I need to let my nitrates sit around 15 to 20. 5 is too low at least to start them off.

I think I know why this works... ie the plants use the nitrates... but I'll let the plant people chime in. I don't keep that many plants in my tanks. Some live and some die LOL.... I know why mine die though. 50% w/c a week won't allow plants to survive.

Charlutz

Members
I have found when getting plants "going" I need to let my nitrates sit around 15 to 20. 5 is too low at least to start them off.

I think I know why this works... ie the plants use the nitrates... but I'll let the plant people chime in. I don't keep that many plants in my tanks. Some live and some die LOL.... I know why mine die though. 50% w/c a week won't allow plants to survive.[/b]

That could be it. I change roughly 75g a week out of my tank, which is probably 230g with the sump. Can I add nitrogen? Is that what the fertilizers are?

Charlutz

Members
At my water change on Sunday, nitrate was at 10. Moved 4 of the anubias on top of the rockpile and closer to the light. Had to leave two where they were because they are attached to a rock under which I think I have leleupi spawning. It's been 2 weeks since the pair claimed the spot. Haven't seen a fry yet.

Spine

Members
Charlutzm
Try looking through some of the forums at http://www.gwapa.org I have been a member of GWAPA for a year now its a lot of fun. GWAPA members are very helpful and highly knowledgeable feel free to post questions. You can also PM me if you need further help. I would be glad to assist you(time permitting) setting something up