1. The next meeting of the CCA will be on Oct 8th at 2pm at our usual location - Kennedy High School, Silver Spring, MD.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are BACK!!!!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don't forget October is election month..... You CAN make a difference!!!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Big Fish Deal is coming your way in March 2017. Watch for more information as we get closer.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Don't forget to vote for your favorite picture in the Photo of the Month section.
    Dismiss Notice

Fish Roe As A Food?

Discussion in 'New World' started by analog saint, Mar 31, 2006.

Tags:
  1. analog saint

analog saint Guest

Last Activity:
    A moment ago
    Some friends and I were making sushi, and we were left with a sizeable quantity of Sweetfish Roe. I figured why let it go to waste, and figured I'd try feeding it to some four month old cichlid fry... They go NUTS over it. I tried it with my croaking gouramis and tetras. Same result- even though it sinks fast, they frenzy over it.

I've only been doing this for about two days... but can anyone see any downside to using saltwater fish eggs as a fish food? They seem to be a real crowdpleaser, and since it was $2 for an enormous quantity of the stuff at the local korean grocer, it was substantially cheaper than most any other live foods I've found out there, and I'd imagine it's good nutrition as well. I've read on sites that when frozen, it can keep for three months.

has anyone tried this or heard anything about this?

2. Sonny Disposition

Last Activity:
    Sep 7, 2016
    I don't see a down side to using roe as fish food. It's probably a good idea. Along the same lines, I decapsulate brine shrimp eggs regularly and feed them to lots of different species. I only hatch them for fish that won't eat any food that isn't moving.