• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish Content

rawdeakka

Members
Always looking to learn new and valuable information but it seems like the site is mostly used to buy/sell. Are meetings the only place where for real discussion?

JLW

CCA Members
I don't know that that is a fair assessment. While there's a lot of trading going on within the forums, I don't think it is "mostly." I just checked new forum messages, and there were 16 unread threads (been busy! :) Of those, 7 were people looking to buy, sell, give away, or trade soemthing. Most of those had 2-3 replies, at best, while there were long, busy threads on other topics with as many as 40-replies.

The club is what you make of it. If you're not participating in discussions, you're not going to get discussions out of it.

rawdeakka

Members
I may need to explore the site a little more as well. I’m only familiar with the general discussion and marketplace tabs.

abcdefghi

Members
I think you have to also remember that there are only just under 5,000 total members to the site, while a good number for what is ultimately a pretty specific, both in content and location, forum. Likely only 10% or less of those are regularly active, which mean's not a huge amount of content is posted daily. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you can't expect this site to have the same level of thread activity as say fishlore.com or aquariacentral.com where there are around 100,000 members.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I think we have a pretty active forum, especially compared to sites of other clubs that actually hold meetings.

I also think we have a pretty good balance of discussion and sales/trading but I think a lot of non-members, or people not attending meetings, only use the forum to buy/sell. Its a practical use of the forum since a lot of members are centrally located, and any site traffic is good in general.

I think the variety of topics discussed is pretty diverse also; different types of fish, different types of tank setups, equipment discussions, etc. Current events pop up, debates on speakers or husbandry tactics, how to set up a fish room, I enjoy that 10 threads might be about 10 different things.

Knowing who you're talking to is also another positive for me, I don't have to guess who's behind the keyboard, and if they they're just parroting something they heard or read somewhere. In the end, as Josh said, the forum is what the members make of it. The marketplace helps keep things active, but if people don't start meaningful conversations, or ask insightful questions, it could get boring.

In my beliefs, this Club/site gives generous amounts of info. Some of the topics are older and you may have go back and look for it, I have done this numerous times looking for items or info. I may not respond to all the posts but I do read them. This site and most of the members give sound advice and they may not always agree with each other but they do agree to disagree.