• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filter Leaking

tash

Members
So the tank I just got came with a HOB filter, a millenium 3000. it was working great at her house, then somehow between there and here the power unit came off. In the instructions it says to remove it for cleaning so I reversed that and tried to put it back on. but when I filled it up it started dripping. I have taken it off and on sevral times but it just drips and drips. does anyone know what the problem could be and how I can fix it?

maddog10

Members
There is probably a rubber o-ring around the pump housing. Check to make sure it is clean and not broken. Make sure that you also clean the hole on the filter where the pump sets. You should be able to get a replacement at a LFS or online.
Hope that helps.

tash

Members
There is probably a rubber o-ring around the pump housing. Check to make sure it is clean and not broken. Make sure that you also clean the hole on the filter where the pump sets. You should be able to get a replacement at a LFS or online.
Hope that helps.[/b]

yeah, I cleaned it and checked the o ring. it looks fine. I don't think I cleaned the filter there though. I will try that thanks. Ill let you know.....

tash

Members
it's still dripping :( I don't know what else to do. the o ring and everything look great.

cyradis4

Members
Can you see where exactly the leak is? I've had HOB filters crack along a seam before. Otherwise, like Mike said, replacing the O ring is your best bet.

Amanda.

tash

Members
Can you see where exactly the leak is? I've had HOB filters crack along a seam before. Otherwise, like Mike said, replacing the O ring is your best bet.

Amanda.[/b]

I know it's between the filter and the motor, and I think its on the right side... but I don't know *exactly* the point it is at.

ok... off to find an o ring I guess......

tash

Members
Any luck?[/b]

no. I went to petsmart today and they didn't have an o ring. everywhere online is super expensive once you add in shipping (and I am cheap :) ). so I am having a hard time finding one. :(

kaj41354

Members
no. I went to petsmart today and they didn't have an o ring. everywhere online is super expensive once you add in shipping (and I am cheap :) ). so I am having a hard time finding one. :([/b]

Also check with "That Fish Place" in Lancaster if Scales doesn't have it. They carry a lot of parts like that. If they have it let me know and I can pick it up and bring it to the meeting since I live real close to there.

tash

Members
Hopefully they will respond! If neither can help with the part, why not considering buying a new filter and use the broken one for parts.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_filters.html[/b]

yeah, I have been thinking about just buying a new one. this one did have an already established bio though :roll:

it also came with an old fluval 403. but the old owner thought it was an undergravel filter and she wanted plants so she didn't use it. I don't know if I even have all the parts for it. plus I like the waterfall sound of the hob vs canister......

mscichlid

Founder
Just put the innards (filter media) into the new one from the old one, pour the water from the old one into it and it will be established...that is, if you have continued using it.

tash

Members
.......that is, if you have continued using it.[/b]

thats the problem. It leaks so its just been sitting dry. why I didn't put the bio in the tank is probably just because I am stupid..... :smashfreakB: but my husband would kill me if I just let it sit there leaking. even if I used a towel or something.