• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filter Advice

kaj41354

Members
Hey folks,

I have decided to go with a 75g for my display tank and I am making plans for setting it up. Being new to the African world, and I do intend to make it either a Malawi or Tang tank. I wanted some advice as to the type/size of filter that I should use. The tank is not drilled and that would probably be beyond my skill level or at least my bravery level. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

DeeCee

Members
Good choice Kurt~
I think a 75 makes the perfect display tank size - not too small & not too dang big.

I don't know what others prefer, but if it were me, my personal choice for filters would be a couple of nice big sponges and a nice HOB filter too - either an AquaClear or Emperor just to keep the water lookin' good.

DC

kaj41354

Members
Thanks Donna,

I was also looking at the many different canister options. I have 2 Ehiem 2213's and a Fluval 204 that I used in previous smaller projects. I liked the Eheims but I really didn't know how big I would need to go to handle the Bio load without getting so big that the fish would need surfboards. Thanks

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Everyone has there own ideas on this.
I use a pair of Aqua Clear 110's on my 90.
I only have one Fluval and about 17 or 18 aqua Clears running.

I try to stick with one brand, so that when I am buying filter materials I don't have
to remember how many of multiple brands. Just the one.

maddog10

Members
A pair of AquaClear 70's would work nice and if it were me i would have a couple of air driven sponges as well. I always use more than I need. The added benefit of the sponges is that in a pinch they can be easily pulled and used to set up a tank in an emergency (happened more than once). Canisters would probably be quieter.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm a fan of "dump" filters, which are basically wet-dry filters that sit on top of the tank instead of under it (with a pump/power head pushing water into them and water returning to the tank via gravity). Fill the thing with something for mechanical filtration and bio media and you've got a ton of capacity...that doesn't require much pump "head" or drilling your tank.

There are some nice options for a 4' tank with some width like a 75g. I've built them with Rubbermaids (the low, under the bed kind worlk great) as well as (where looks are important) those plastic window ledge planter boxes.

I'd also keep a decent HOB filter on the tank for extra mechanical filtration. If you're buying from PetsMart, print out the price from their website and they'll match it in the store (unless the manager that night is being a tool).

A pair of AquaClear 70's would work nice and if it were me i would have a couple of air driven sponges as well. I always use more than I need. The added benefit of the sponges is that in a pinch they can be easily pulled and used to set up a tank in an emergency (happened more than once). Canisters would probably be quieter.[/b]

kaj41354

Members
Wow, thanks for all the great advice everybody. The main reason I was looking at a canister is it is easier to hide the intake and outflow. I wanted to make a styro background and some of those great rocks I just got. I have an AC300 and several canisters - Maybe I can figure something out there. Thanks all

rsretep

Members
i own a 75 gallon with a rena filstar xp3 and a biowheel 330 my water is crystal clear ...this set up works WELL for me good luck and welcome to CCA

kaj41354

Members
i own a 75 gallon with a rena filstar xp3 and a biowheel 330 my water is crystal clear ...this set up works WELL for me good luck and welcome to CCA[/b]

Thanks Peteg and a big welcome to you. Hope to see you at a meeting soon. I have heard varying reports on the XP3 as to noise. Are you happy with it?

Kurt, I am a canister fan too. My two 120s each have two Eheim 2217s. And one also has a AC 500 hanging on the back. Canisters work well for bio purposes, but I think it is a good idea to use a HO for aeration and better sponge cleaning.

My old 75 had two AC 500s. They did a great job for several years.

I use an Eheim 2026 and a smaller HOB for aeration and have found that it works well. If you really want to use the background then the 2026 or 2028 are perfect especially if you are building the return into the background. Be careful on the intake as you want to make sure it will actually be able to pull debris from the tank.

kaj41354

Members
I use an Eheim 2026 and a smaller HOB for aeration and have found that it works well. If you really want to use the background then the 2026 or 2028 are perfect especially if you are building the return into the background. Be careful on the intake as you want to make sure it will actually be able to pull debris from the tank.[/b]

Yeah, I am still working on the design aspects. I always liked the Eheim 2213's that I had and was looking at the 2026/2028. I never used my Fluval 204 (it's still new in the box). I figured combining a 2026 or Rena XP3 with the AC300 should be able to take care of the bioload.

I would think that would more than cover it. The bioload would be handled by the 2026 alone but I agree with the need for aeration so a HOB is necessary. I have another tank with the XP4 and an HOB for a 50 gallon tank on a 75 and the water is crystal clear.