• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feeling dumb and defeated

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I really screwed up. I had 15 4in peacocks for exception of the boss fish in a 55 gallon tank. I got them at the beginning of this past September. Well, I am down to two fish. Where did I go wrong failure? I failed to quarantine. They were the only fish in my 55. I had a seeded sponge, but ick came and did major damage. I honestly had never seen ick before in any of my past fish. By the time I realized that it might be ick, it was too late. I am hoping these two survive. I did a water change yesterday of about 50%. I came home tested the water Ammonia was 0ppm and nitrites were .25ppm. I did another 50% water change and everything is back to 0ppm and nitrates are between 5 and 10ppm. PH appears to be 8.0 and the temp is holding at 80 degrees. I treated for with super ick cure and slowly raised temp up, but I just could not do anything. I mad at myself because the whole ordeal was preventable to a great degree, but I am just impatient at times. Should these two fish survive, I will be very thankful. While I have this size tank, I do not plan to have any more than 8 fish whose adult size does not exceed more than 7 inches. I am currently running 2 Aquaclear 110 filters and a sponge filter along with 2 koralia wave makers at opposite ends of the tank. I am also using Seachem Stability to strengthen or build up the beneficial bacteria.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
That suck man. So you added new fish without QT them?

Yes. They started acting like they were not interested in eating food. Than I saw a fish with wierd white color in his eye. After, another fish showed up with the white spots. I tried to treat the entire tank, but was unsuccessful. I only have two left at this point.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
sorry to hear that, that's really a bummer. Where did you get the fish from? Early detection and treatment is key.
I got them from a friend that breeds. However, he encourages quarantine practices. I just did not do it in this case because they were the only fish going in the 55. I just hope the two that I have make it. In the meantime, I will just be going back to basics and reviewing videos and care of cichlids.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
If you put all the fish in at the same time, perhaps it was stress from an ammonia spike that triggered the event. That's a lot of fish to add to an empty tank at once, especially if you got them at around 4".

Blaise

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Happens to the best of us. Don't beat yourself up, but use it as a learning experience.

I hope you're not too discouraged.
I am not discouraged, but I do feel bad. More so because my daughter watched it unfold. However, I am not giving up. I have so much surface agitation with the wave makers and a sponge driven air filter will always run. I am still running the two AC110's. My plan for any quarantine in the future will be to drop that established sponge filter in the qt.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
I am not discouraged, but I do feel bad. More so because my daughter watched it unfold. However, I am not giving up. I have so much surface agitation with the wave makers and a sponge driven air filter will always run. I am still running the two AC110's. My plan for any quarantine in the future will be to drop that established sponge filter in the qt.
That’s probably a good plan. I always keep extra sponge filters running in case I need to get another tank up and running quickly.

And I’m glad you’re not discouraged!