• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

feeder goldfish/rosies

anybody in the northern virginia area have any favorite places to buy live feeders? i typically go to pet supplies plus in fairfax, but was told that they're franchising and eliminating their livestock, including feeders. i know of course the big chains have them, but they're 17¢ each there. centrevill aquarium is at 8/$1, which isn't terrible but it is a bit out of the way. i go through about 200 a week now, but am looking at cutting that down. unfortunately i haven't gotten my gar to take anything but live yet.
so, are there any places around the area i'm not thinking of or am i going to have to just live with the 17¢?

spazmattik

Members
unfortunately as far as I know we have very few stores in VA. With pristine aquariums shutting down a while back we were left with cville and vienna aquarium (which is actually in leesburg)

What are you feeding aside from the gar? I would suggest raising your own food but thats a pretty difficult number to achieve weekly :p

unfortunately as far as I know we have very few stores in VA. With pristine aquariums shutting down a while back we were left with cville and vienna aquarium (which is actually in leesburg)

What are you feeding aside from the gar? I would suggest raising your own food but thats a pretty difficult number to achieve weekly :p

all of my tanks get some live feeders, moreso for the sport of it, keeping predatory instincts alive. with the gar is with a lungfish and a handful of 3-6" cichlids, all of whom will chase the feeders around. the big tank has a redtail cat, a pacu and a couple oscars so feeders are gone almost before they hit the water.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Feeders are usually unhealthy, low in nutrients, and potential carriers of disease. I'd stay away from them if possible.

spazmattik

Members
Feeders are usually unhealthy, low in nutrients, and potential carriers of disease. I'd stay away from them if possible.

+1. If you can seperate the cichlids from the ones that need live food it would help cut down on buying feeders. Those feeders are especially bad for the oscars