• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Excellent May Meeting!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Dale Ernst is very knowledgeable about Brazilian Hypancistrus! Fine presentation and good audience questions.

The auction was good, too, albeit with relatively few items for sale, but some cool stuff.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
We need to get more folks out to the meeting. Any ideas on how to do that? Should we advertise on the forum a little longer in advance? What about maybe a bit more about the speaker in advance? 40 isn't bad, but it'd be nice to get 70 or 80 or 100 people and get some more of the auction stuff sold at a decent price for the sellers.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks for everyone turning out yesterday, especially quite a few new folks!

Some cool stuff in the auction. When's the last time you saw F1 Mylochromis walteri? BAP fish that went for way too little (I looked them up in my Konings book last night)...

Where the presentation left off was where the questions began. Learned a lot. Hypancistrus sp. Lower Rio Xingu and sp. "Porto do Moz" are the best choice for beginners. Keep 10-15 of them in a large tank vs. pairs like a lot of folks do. And provide a ton of sponge filtration...

See you next month!

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Unfortunately we really didn't have much notice on the speaker and presentation this month. Next month, we're dialed in...

Ideas for getting folks to the meeting are more than welcome.

Matt

We need to get more folks out to the meeting. Any ideas on how to do that? Should we advertise on the forum a little longer in advance? What about maybe a bit more about the speaker in advance? 40 isn't bad, but it'd be nice to get 70 or 80 or 100 people and get some more of the auction stuff sold at a decent price for the sellers.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Great meeting, glad we could have a knowledgeable presenter on short notice, some awesome pictures of nice plecos.

Thanks to everyone who helped set up and break down the AV equipment, and helped with the auction.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I have to say I appreciate this club and it's members. The auctions are great and everyone is always very nice. The fish and plants in the auction are always awesome. Thanks to the Board and Matt for always putting on a great meeting. I just wish we saw more foot traffic online and in person. We have such great members that have so much to offer. Let's all help Matt and the gang!

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I enjoyed the talk. I'm now wondering if my mystery pleco might be a hypancistrus. Some good stuff in the auction. Wasn't planning on spending, but ended up with an impulse purchase.

Blaise

Carolineep

CCA Members
for all you lurkers come to a meeting and meet folks,introduce yourself.

I can almost promise you will want to come again.

There is so much knowledge here and these fine folks are not stingy with it.

There is no fish judgieness if you don't have cichlids come anyway you are welcome.

Come hear our speakers , and learn something new.

Meet our fabulous sponsors and get a source for you fish needs.

Enjoy the auction and come away with an awesome deal.

Oh and something hilarious happens at least once a meeting.

Come see for yourself, second Saturday of the month

Mark it in your calendars. See ya there!

Last edited by a moderator:

FishEggs

There is no fish judgieness if you don't have cichlids come anyway you are welcome.

Come see for yourself, second Tuesday of the month

Edit: second Saturday of the month. Not Tuesday.

dogofwar

CCA Members
This :)

Come see for yourself, second Saturday of the month

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Let's get 100 people for the next meeting. There's got to be that many people around. Mark it in your calendars and get your auction items ready now. If people know that tons of great fish and plants will be up for sale, we'll draw even more. Got some equipment lying around that you want rid of? Snap a photo and put it in the auction. Got some fry that you need to move to free up tank space, put them in the auction. I personally look at the auction items beforehand to see what will be there. I want to have more people there than fish!

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, my two tanks are stocked exclusively with fish and plants obtained, at a substantial discount, from the monthly auctions.

captmicha

Members
The only thing I can think of is to appeal to a wider audience.

A lot of people are probably keeping goldfish in a ten gallon, and hopefully will learn more about care and start keeping cichlids too.

Right now, it can seem like it's ALL about cichlids rather than mostly about cichlids. Or even a big emphesis on cichlids.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Like having speakers on catfish? :)

The only thing I can think of is to appeal to a wider audience.

A lot of people are probably keeping goldfish in a ten gallon, and hopefully will learn more about care and start keeping cichlids too.

Right now, it can seem like it's ALL about cichlids rather than mostly about cichlids. Or even a big emphesis on cichlids.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Like having speakers on catfish? :)
To be fair to Micha, the speaker and his topic were not well publicized. It's not anybody's fault, of course, but that is the case.

Also, the club name doesn't help. I'm sure some folks think "what the heck is a chicklid?" If you want to attract more folks, maybe a name change is in order. [Ducks]

Also, getting the meeting announcements out in a more advanced way might help.

FishEggs

Chiclids are those little, white, square pieces of gum, right?
My joining up was delayed for sometime because I thought the club was all about African cichlids since that's what I thought were cichlids and I wasn't interested in them. I didn't know how wide and large the cichlidae family was.

captmicha

Members
To be fair to Micha, the speaker and his topic were not well publicized. It's not anybody's fault, of course, but that is the case.

Also, the club name doesn't help. I'm sure some folks think "what the heck is a chicklid?" If you want to attract more folks, maybe a name change is in order. [Ducks]

Also, getting the meeting announcements out in a more advanced way might help.
That's what I meant. It has to be advertised pretty obviously before people have time to pass over bc they didn't see something about other fish right away.

So would have to be a big change to the name, like you said, or maybe a tagline or something similar.

Also advertising in local fish stores would help, IF any would be willing. Petco and Petsmart too since that's where most people go. You'd have to sell out to the man, of course.