• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ever Use "hold On Location" ?

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
I use this method alot . since 95% of my fish are ship to me. and i dont like the idea of my fish "rocking" in a fedex/ups truck especially in HOT or FREEZING weather. I have a very good luck with FedEx using this method. UPS has this method also..

normally i ask the shipper to ship to your Main Sorting Facility. and MARKED " HOLD ON LOCATION" with your name and facility address. and normally your can pick up when they open at 9am.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Use this option if you need your package earlier than the scheduled delivery time, or if you won't be available to receive a delivery.[/b]

-li

p.s. but i still prefer air cargo.. :)

Artee

Members
I use it most of the time if the shipper is familiar with it, very convenient, not sitting by the door and anxiously waiting....

longstocking

Members
Much better way.... unfortunately most of the poeple I ship to want it handed to them at their door since they payed 30+ dollars for shipping.. And won't "drive" to get their fish. lol... Silly IMO.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I agree - hold at the FedEx place is better than having shipped to your door.

Especially since my FedEx guy seems to not know how to ring a doorbell or knock very loud. He's really good at leaving "pick up at FedEx" slips, though.

maddog10

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Mar 4 2008, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Especially since my FedEx guy seems to not know how to ring a doorbell or knock very loud. He's really good at leaving "pick up at FedEx" slips, though.[/b]

UPS and FedEx drivers don't even attempt to knock at my house (unless a signature is required). They usually just put the box on the front steps and drive away.

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Mar 4 2008, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Much better way.... unfortunately most of the poeple I ship to want it handed to them at their door since they payed 30+ dollars for shipping.. And won't "drive" to get their fish. lol... Silly IMO.[/b]

LOL.. im at the fedex at 845am sharp! LOL.. but then my fish are expensive....

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Mar 4 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Mar 4 2008, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Especially since my FedEx guy seems to not know how to ring a doorbell or knock very loud. He's really good at leaving "pick up at FedEx" slips, though.[/b]

UPS and FedEx drivers don't even attempt to knock at my house (unless a signature is required). They usually just put the box on the front steps and drive away.
[/b][/quote]

another thing is that i dont give out my home address ... so hold on location is another way to hide it...

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neoprodigy @ Mar 4 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Mar 4 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

another thing is that i dont give out my home address ... so hold on location is another way to hide it...
[/b][/quote]

Yesss! UPS worked great for me today. They came right to the door... knocked LOUDLY... and gave me my fish.

Are you saying that IF I was able to get to FedEx I could have picked them up myself this morning when UPS or FedEx opened? Around 8:45 am. Thus saving the fish hours of sitting in the box... and getting jostled by the UPS delivery truck...?

Later,
Marge

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Mar 4 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neoprodigy @ Mar 4 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Mar 4 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Yesss! UPS worked great for me today. They came right to the door... knocked LOUDLY... and gave me my fish.

Are you saying that IF I was able to get to FedEx I could have picked them up myself this morning when UPS or FedEx opened? Around 8:45 am. Thus saving the fish hours of sitting in the box... and getting jostled by the UPS delivery truck...?

Later,
Marge
[/b][/quote]

it must marked "HOLD ON LOCATION" when the fish is being shipped or they will attemp to deliver...

you can use FedEx Standard Overnight which is the cheapest for overngiht and you can pick up at 9am

for me i want the fish stay in the bag as little time as possible..

mscichlid

Founder
I never have fished shipped to my home. All my shipments come to my work. As soon as anything arrives, I get a call that I have a box. The USPS mailman calls me 'The Fishlady'. Everyone is so amazed that fish can be mailed.

cyradis4

Members
We've done it both ways, but prefer to pick fish up at Fed Ex.

Of course, our UPS delivery man is well trained.... He knocks LOUDLY, drops the package and runs, unless a signature is required. Our dogs find mailmen (or anyone at the front door) rather offensive, and let them know that no uncertain terms......

Amanda.

longstocking

Members
A trick for all of you...

You don't have to have a shipper that is aware of this... a lot of them aren't believe it or not. You can call once you have the tracking number and put it on hold yourself.

Infact the post office will do this as well. But, me as the shipper can not hold the package the buyer has to instead.

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Mar 4 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A trick for all of you...

You don't have to have a shipper that is aware of this... a lot of them aren't believe it or not. You can call once you have the tracking number and put it on hold yourself.

Infact the post office will do this as well. But, me as the shipper can not hold the package the buyer has to instead.[/b]

hmmm i tried that once... they say no... so i never tried again...

tash

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Mar 4 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
UPS and FedEx drivers don't even attempt to knock at my house (unless a signature is required). They usually just put the box on the front steps and drive away.[/b]

when I was living in Ohio when I was about 8 months pregnant my husband ordered something for his truck that weighed about 80lbs. He was deployed and wasn't getting back until the birth so he could'nt help bring it in. The fed ex guy just knocked real quick and before I could walk the 10 feet to the door (and I wasn't slow) he was driving away :eek: so then I had this 80lbs box on my poorch that I couldn't bring in.

and then in EP they useually came up to my apartment and left it on the poorch. but one time I had a package that I was waiting for and I checked and it said delivered but it wasn't there. so I called and they had left it alll the way at the office. I had to walk down 3.5 loooong flights of stairs in the hot sun (and back) to go and get there before the office closed. but he could have just driven up to my building.

in NY my boss was waiting for a package for something that we had to finish that day. it didn't come and it didn't come so he went out looking for the truck because he didn't want to have to stay late. He called me a little while later and said that he was talking to the company and they had said it had just been scaned as 'refused' and he was wondering if I had refused it. I said no, no one had been in there since he left. turned out that the driver just didn't feel like delivering it that day and skipped us!!!

..... ok.... three diffrent states.... is it just me? :unsure:

longstocking

Members
No it's not you.

They all have their issues. I have used all of them. The 2 I use now are UPS and USPS. For the simple reason... I can get my money refunded easily through these 2 if they are not on time. One thing that really irritates me is when a customer pays for next day delivery which isn't cheap and they don't delivery on time and then give you the run aorund for not giving you what you paid for. I feel I should be refunded no questions asked. I know the owner of my UPS store and he goes to bat for me against corp. UPS and USPS doesn't give me any problems.

Since all of them have their issues... I ship with USPS for the most part now. They are the least expensive of all of them and I can walk in the very next day and get a refund of shipping. UPS and fedex.... you have to file a complaint etc... it takes about 3 weeks to get your money back :smashfreakB: :spanka: :fighting0032: :fighting0097:

So since they all have their issues I pack for 2 day delivery even though most get there in 1 day.