• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Escondido Carpinitis

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Anybody ever keep these guys? I been doing some research and really like this particular collection point. Heard they can be a handful at times (aggression wise)
escondido.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have kept them a few times over the years. They are really pretty fish, and generally easy to keep with the exception of managing aggression. If you are looking for a compatible pair, get a group of juvies and let them grow up together. Once a pair forms, move the others to a different tank and give the female a place to get away from the male. I have found that most herichthys are particularly bad with conspecific aggression, and only above average aggression with other species.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
I have kept them a few times over the years. They are really pretty fish, and generally easy to keep with the exception of managing aggression. If you are looking for a compatible pair, get a group of juvies and let them grow up together. Once a pair forms, move the others to a different tank and give the female a place to get away from the male. I have found that most herichthys are particularly bad with conspecific aggression, and only above average aggression with other species.
Awesome, Thanks Jon.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The bigger the tank, the better in my experience. Some may say that you can keep these guys in a 4' tank, but I would recommend a 6 footer for long term keeping.