• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

EBJD

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Many of you know me from my EBJD breeding project. I've recently had three more hatches with my blue gene carrier pair. None of them survived nor produced any fry that looked different from regular Jack Dempseys. I need to find a local source of great EBJD breeding stock males or I need contact info for Jeff Rapps as I hear his stock is awesome. Please help if you can. No store stock unless you've had personal experience that produced a great fish. Thanks. Cory

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Jeff's email address is on his website, tangledupincichlids.com.

Not sure he has adult EBJDs, though.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I don't need adults. I can grow them out. I just need good stock. They are hard to find here. When I was in Pittsburgh, I had two reliable stores to buy from that I could count on for good stock. I've tried twice here with no luck.

There is guy on AB who breeds and sells really nice EBJ's and EBGJ's. His name is Tarmack in upstate NY. He has top notch stock. He has no open auctions right now but go to closed 'Central American' and e-m him that way. I believe he is also working with the platinum and gold gene also. He does ship most of the year.

Hawkman2000

Members
EBJDs are readily available here in FL. Apparently there is a guy down here breeding them. F2s going for around 18$. Even readily available at petco and petsmart around here.

Thought about doing an EBJD breeding colony myself, but it seems like these things come in waves. As soon as breeders see the supply has been low for a while, they all start breeding at the same time and flood the market.

Good luck with the project. You should create a youtube channel, do a weekly vid and document everything.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I think I'm done breeding EBJDs. This is just getting out of hand. I've had three more spawns. Good fry, eating on their own, then the parents eat them. They are so spooky and will bolt around the tank in fear if someone even gets near them. I need some bold cichlids to replace them. What can I use?

Hicgup

Members
Are you still thinking of selling off your J.D. Stock? If yes, message me what you have in terms of fish, pairs, individuals, sizes, genotypes, and what you need to get for the lot.
Thanks,
Steve

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Okay folks. It's been a while since I posted on here about my EBJD breeding journey. If you saw my recent post on the BAP thread, then you already know I had a recent successful spawn with my Blue Gene Carrier adults. I'll cut right to the chase. Low and behold, they finally produced the golden egg! Here are the first pictures of my first every EBJD FRY!!! SO PUMPED! Keep in mind I was ready to sell these adults off and totally pass on this project. I'm so glad that my big male is so pretty and I decided to keep the pair. Man. What a trip.

14f10405-c661-4583-b482-18217cdec956_zpsytbspqdq.jpg

A normal to compare it to...

c3839d2a-77c1-42a9-bd38-de04d861006a_zpsl9ixja3a.jpg

Some more pics because I'm so excited!!!

IMG_1490_zps6xfwnwps.jpg

Here (above and below pic) you can see EBJD next to normal...

IMG_1492_zpslaroxt1m.jpg

All normals again for contrast...

IMG_1508_zps8iglv51s.jpg

So after all of my fighting, rearranging, cupid-playing, tank shifting, and all of my hard work, I finally was able to breed EBJD's successfully. Of course, this came as a least expected it. Now the task is keeping them alive and happy until they are big enough for me to quit worrying about them. I also found out that my blue gene carrier adults have another batch of eggs/wigglers they are guarding, so I might have some more EBJD fry soon! It's been such a long time coming. I normally don't get this way about every spawn, but seriously, this has been a journey. Also glad to see that my original spawn of EBJD x Normal Jack Dempsey actually produced Blue Gene carriers as it was supposed to. Wow. Wow. Wow. Over two years I've been working on this. Close to three now. SO relieved and excited all at the same time.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
EBJD fry died due to stress from other normal fry, even though I removed all that were larger than them. I just don't have the time right now to watch them. I will take this project on again someday, but I'm selling the parents. See my post in Marketplace. Hopefully someone will give these wonderful fish a good home. I'm also selling the non-EBJD fry. Please buy these fish if you are interested. I want to see them go to a good home.