• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Drilling old tank for sump?

Ive been thinking about making a sump for my 75 for a while now. Its a older tank with the fake wood looking trim around the edges. The bottom glass is tempered and says do not drill. Dose this mean the sides are tempered as well?

Yeah that would be a big time bummer. I was watching some videos online and thinking of making pvc overflows so i do not have to drill the tank. Diy joey had some good videos and I plan to make my own version of it. I have plenty of time to figure it out, I think the sump will be more of a challenge as it will be my fist attempt.

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm not sure they necessarily would be....but it would suck if they were. I know there are some ways to find out....Google it. There was one method that seemed plausible using sunlight and polarized sunglasses. (note....I say plausible, because I didn't actually use it...no personal experience with this one).

Dose anyone have experience and good results from pvc over flows with a sump on a 75g or similar size tank? i was planning to do one overflow in each back corner, and use diy joeys updated plan modifying the weir to my liking (if i decide not to drill the tank).

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
If the bottom of the tank is labeled "tempered" I would bet that the sides are not. It would be highly unusual for the tank to be all tempered glass. Highly unusual but not impossible.

PVC overflows can work in higher flow settings like a sump but can be (usually are) problematic long term.

An alternative to a sump and drilling the tank is a dump filter...which is basically putting a sump on top of the tank, pumping water from the tank to it and allowing water to "dump" back into the tank via gravity.

I use actual sumps for my big tanks (just on the top of the tank and set up as dumps) but other people use nice-looking planters and the like so they look nice.

I'd bet that Joey has plans for them as well (they're quite simple).

Window planter boxes work well:
countryside-plastic-flower-box-planters-or-liners-19.jpg

That is a interesting idea, but I'm looking for a more eye pleasing look. Also I just built a stand with a large under compartment and would like to try a sump. So I think I will try the PVC first, and if it dose not do the job after a while maybe try plumbing the back glass.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Here's the Joey DIY for overhead or dump filters (in any event). I actually prefer to do the inlet and outlet on the bottom (vs. the side) for simplicity.

That dose look like a cool idea, just not sure how pretty i could make it look =p and i want too utilize the huge space under my home made stand !!!

chriscoli

Administrator
IMG_4740.JPG Here's a pic of mine. It could be made really nice I think if you were to use acrylic and add a refugium with plants and a light in the middle.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Adding some Pothos or other plants is another way to make it look nice (and be a nitrate sponge)...

Matt

Yeah that's true, I'm sure it could look really nice, just for this tank I really don't want to have anything above it. The stand I made for it is 36" tall and the tank is 21". Already its going to be almost 5 feet tall to the brim of the tank, I will have sooo much room underneath. I have a 39 gal rimless old tank that would work great as a sump. Thx for the refugium idea, i did not know about those. I think I want to in cooperate that into the sump itself. I really hope the side glass is not tempered, ill have to find out.

Last edited:

JLW

CCA Members
Chances are its made by AGA or Perfecto, who combined made 99.3% of aquariums out there. With the oak trim, it's more like 99.993%. :)

The sides are not tempered.

Chances are its made by AGA or Perfecto, who combined made 99.3% of aquariums out there. With the oak trim, it's more like 99.993%. :)

The sides are not tempered.
I hope your right, i dont think they are either but just want to be sure. Im going to do the polarized test just to be sure.

Anyways dose anyone have a 1' glass bit i could borrow, I can come to the meeting on Saturday! Also i can bring my tank and drill to the meeting so we could do it in the parking lot. That way I don't have to deliver the bit back if that would be helpfull =]

Thanks gang

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Really, drilling in a parking lot. Maybe you have had lots of practice. I have broken one 200 gallon in 1994, mainly inexperience. You need a lubricant like flowing water or a clay damn hold a puddle of water or antifreeze around the cut point. And you need a firm grip if you are doing it by hand, that is, not using a drill press. And it is best to let the drill do the work with just the weight of the drill pushing it into the glass. It could take 10 or 20 minutes if you have a new diamond drill bit and longer if it is old. Scratches with the drill bit while trying to get the hole started can be where cracks form if you push hard.

Let us know if you are drilling in the parking lot. Maybe we could have a short class/demonstration for all who are interested.