• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Does this Leleupi look normal to you?

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it is eating, not that I've noticed, it is mostly sitting as you can see in the video and when it is swimming, it's lethargic, kinda doing the death dance. Internal parasites maybe? The other ones are doing fine and they have a good appetite. Any idea what it could be and how to treat?

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Definitely not normall, probably has a parasite issue. There are a bunch of mess that can treat it but I'm not sure which one is best. I kep a little salt in my African tanks.. Maracyn, Maracyn 2? God luck

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
In killiefish and others swimming like your fish is is the inability to inflate and deflate their swim bladder and they are referred to as "belly sliders". In young fish it is often a result of poor water quality during their development. ANd it is possible that your fish was always this way for lots of belly sliders do live a long time. But belly sliders ususally are not able to get as much food as their brothers and sisters, so they are normally also undersized. Since yours is full grown, it probably got a bacterial infection in its swim bladder which has cause it to not function. Could also be a result of a virus. https://modestfish.com/fish-disease-guide/. the section in this website suggest many different causes of loss of swim bladder problems including fighting and being dropped.

Last edited:

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
In killiefish and others swimming like your fish is is the inability to inflate and deflate their swim bladder and they are referred to as "belly sliders". In young fish it is often a result of poor water quality during their development. ANd it is possible that your fish was always this way for lots of belly sliders do live a long time. But belly sliders ususally are not able to get as much food as their brothers and sisters, so they are normally also undersized. Since yours is full grown, it probably got a bacterial infection in its swim bladder which has cause it to not function. Could also be a result of a virus. https://modestfish.com/fish-disease-guide/. the section in this website suggest many different causes of loss of swim bladder problems including fighting and being dropped.

Thank you Frank, the link is a great resource. Should I isolate the fish or treat the whole tank? I have taken care of these guys better than I take care of myself with the food and water quality, filtration, you name it.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Usually you only see one fish that gets a swim bladder problem. It does not seem to be contagious. I doubt if it can be cured. But if you want to try some treatment I would do it in a separate tank.