• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Discus in a 65 gallon?

CichlidDan

Members
Hi guys,
I was wondering would discus work in a 65 gallon (36" long) or do I need something longer? If discus would work with this tank size about how many? I would also like to add about 10-15 neons with the discus. Thanks

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Although I've never kept discus myself, I know others who have and tried a similar sized tank with poor results. At the end of the day, discus are cichlids, and there will inevitably be aggression and food competition in a tank that size with that many fish. In my opinion, discus are one of those fish that are too pricey to try and keep them in an undersized tank.

dhavalsp

Members
55 long bare bottom would work fine with about 5 discus....65 tall the one you have may be fine too, but after a point when they cross 5" you may feel the need to upgrade...

Rasta Fish

Members
Lots of breeders use 20h. And 29 gallons to breed them in
So 65 could possibly be a good size for a pair
Most reccomendations for discus are 10gls/ fish

Gyarados

Members
What's your ph like out your tap? If you got lucky with aggression you'd still be doing a lot water changes. I know not many people around central Maryland are blessed with that ideal 6ish ph water that discus love. Buffering is a pain in the a$$.

Rasta Fish

Members
I don't buffer my (Owings Mills) water
Get from discus Hans and check out his video about keeping discus on YouTube via KGtropicals
Don't mess with their water once you get them Acclimated to your water
I am not a pro at keeping discus but they are after all fish from the same water as any south american cichlids, don't be afraid of keeping them and don't go overboard

dhavalsp

Members
I a in north bethesda, i use straight tap water for discus...no problem, touched almost six inches in 9-10 months.... lot of feeding, daily water changes..i agree with craig, dont mess with water unless your fish are not at all willing to acclimate.

Kareen

Members
If you can get a biger size tank get it a 75 or 100 gal is a good size for Discus if thay are small around 2 or 3"inch a 40 breeder grow out bear bottom is good. your tap water ph is good I have 8.0 ph out of my tap city water and my Discus do good. The best you can do for discus is water changes one or two times a week and good food two or three times a day. if you need any help pm me

Becca

Members
We use tap in our discus tank, but I'd say buy from a local breeder (Hans) if you want Discus that'll do well in local tap.

Discus need space, numbers, dither fish, and clean water. Like many fish, they pick on each other and a larger group helps thin out the impact of aggression. Buy juvies not because they're cheap, but because they haven't been speed-grown on beef heart (can cause problems like digestive issues and fatty liver). People like to speed grow fish and sell them for top dollar and you don't realize you're buying the piscine equivalent of Chris Farley (RIP).

A good aquascape will help with aggression and stress, plus makes your fish happier (scientists have actually researched the impact of a decorated vs sparse environment on the development of fry). Even in a 150 gallon we have lost fish due to aggression. The weakest few eventually go from stress, picking, and related anorexia.

That said, your tank really isn't big enough because of its length. You could do a pair and a bunch of schooling fish if you knew someone parting with a healthy couple, but a group is stretching it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CichlidDan

Members
Thanks for all the great info everyone, I think I'm going to wait until I move to a new place where I can get the biggest tank possible