• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DC tap water disinfectant switch

GBRlehrich

CCA Members
On March 25th 2019, DC tap will be switching from chloramines to chlorine. May take a week for the water with chlorine to actually make it to your tap. Chlorine can very easily be removed by a cheap inline carbon filter, making water changes a piece of cake, and allowing for a simple auto water change system. Would love to hear plans for when the switch takes place

mchambers

Former CCA member
I’ll just keep dosing Seachem Safe, like I do for chloramine. I’ve never noticed a difference with the annual switch to chlorine.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I follow Matt's plan, I'm on a different water system, but I think something similar happens. I've always dosed with Prime, or safe, but I think most dechlorinators will remove chlorine and chloramine.

FYI in case you didn't know, Safe is the powder version of Prime. Its a concentrated formula, so the cost per use is very low. I have ~30 tanks and a smaller bottle will last me a few months, so it goes a long way.

GBRlehrich

CCA Members
I follow Matt's plan, I'm on a different water system, but I think something similar happens. I've always dosed with Prime, or safe, but I think most dechlorinators will remove chlorine and chloramine.

FYI in case you didn't know, Safe is the powder version of Prime. Its a concentrated formula, so the cost per use is very low. I have ~30 tanks and a smaller bottle will last me a few months, so it goes a long way.

Nice. Wow, 30 tanks!

GBRlehrich

CCA Members
Around here, that’s pretty close to normal.

Haha I'm starting to realize that. I'm a 13 year old with only 10 tanks, so to me, 30 is alot! Maybe in my fish room being bud will have a few more. Any advice on managing large amounts of tank would be appreciated. I'm going to have a carbon block filter on the tap, and solenoid valve on the canisters do I can do water changes with the push of a button.

stany

CCA Members
Numerous tanks for breeders and those with cichlid fever here in not out of the norm. Prime will cancel out chlorine umtil it goes away. into the air. I'm impressed you have 10 tanks as a 13 year old.. My allowance got me one 10 gallon with guppies.

GBRlehrich

CCA Members
Numerous tanks for breeders and those with cichlid fever here in not out of the norm. Prime will cancel out chlorine umtil it goes away. into the air. I'm impressed you have 10 tanks as a 13 year old.. My allowance got me one 10 gallon with guppies.

Haha clearly. Thanks, I do small jobs around the neighborhood, and I install attractive planted tanks for small businesses. I also buy discus real small and grow them out to 5 inches or so to sell.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, I only had one tank form the time I was 13, didn't have multiple tanks until I was in my 20's. Then again, the internet didn't exist when I was your age either...

GBRlehrich

CCA Members
Yeah, I only had one tank form the time I was 13, didn't have multiple tanks until I was in my 20's. Then again, the internet didn't exist when I was your age either...

Very nice. I think that fish hobbyists can survive the best without the internet, we can get information from books and people in person, spend free time observing and improving our tanks, etc. I mostly use my phone for research, this forum, and the occasional games. Sometimes I sit for 6 hours straight watching my breeding tanks, and observing fish behavior.

GBRlehrich

CCA Members
Kids these days have it soooooo easy and they dont even know it.
-
-
-
Of course I think almost every generation has said that.

I know it lol. All we need to do is go to school, and do chores. And surprisingly, some kids my age struggle to complete the simple task of doing chores. All of them get distracted by this game called "fortnight," they say "you should play it it's so fun! You can shoot people and build things!" SMH, I'd rather maintain and observe my replications of nature.