• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DAPHNIA AND FISH FS delivered to the CCA mtg Oct 12th 2019

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
DAPHNIA AND FISH FS delivered to the CCA mtg Oct 12th 2019

Please respond in a reply below with questions or what you want me to bring to the meeting.
Or contact me at aquaticlifefarm@gmail.com

All fish and cultures are home grown, tank raised.

Daphnia is $5 a bag.
Microworm culture in a plastic box is $5. A starter amount of an old culture is available free to any CCA members. Please ask for the free microworm starter.
Vinegar eel culture is $5 for a culture in a plastic box and includes a harvesting sponge.
Instructions are available with purchase of any of the above cultures if you provide an email
address
by sending a note to me at aquaticlifefarm@gmail.com

Red cherry shrimp are $15 for a group of 20 +.

Orange australe killifish $12 a pair
Rocket killies (E annulatus) $10 a pair

All angelfish are larger than silver dollar size.
Silver angelfish are $5 each.
Black lace angels are $7 each
MGA angelfish.jpg

Lamprologus Gold Ocellatus (F2) (Lake Tanganyikan shell dwellers) are $20 each. Probable pairs are available.

Chindongo demasoni are $5 each for fish that are about 2 inches Adults are available for $10 each.
Labeotropheus fuelleborni are $5 each for young fish. Adults are available for $9 sexed if need be.

Corydoras aeneus (bronze corys) are $5 each
Corydoras sp CW010, Gold Laser Cory are $10 each
Corydoras oiapoquensis are $8 each
Corydoras paleatus are $6 each
Corydoras panda are $6 each
Corydoras weitzmani are $7 each
Corydoras pygmaeus are $5 each

Brochis splendins (AKA the emerald green cory) are $7 each.

Opaline (blue) gouramis are $4 each.

Black banded sunfish (Enneacanthus chaetodon) are $10 each for young fish. These are native to East Coast swamps. I have a permit to breed and sell these
from the state of Maryland.

BlackBandedAB1.jpg
Black banded sunfish and daphnia.

ANCISTRUS sp L144, Black-eyed Yellow Bristlenose Pleco $22 a pair. Young fish are $8 each.
ANCISTRUS sp - albino bristlenose $4 each for 1 to 2 inch fish, $7 each for adults
ANCISTRUS sp - spotted/brown bristlenose catfish $7 each for adults

Orange finned zebra danios (DANIO KYATHIT) $5 each

Spotted blue-eyed rainbows (PSEUDOMUGIL GERTRUDAE) adults are $12 a pair, extra females are $7.

Melanotaenia parva (Red-orange rainbow fish) $9 each for adults or 6 for $45. I got my breeders from Gary Lang.

Red-orange rainbows show a lot of color and markings when they like where they are.
MGA Rainbow parva.jpg

SEWELLIA MARMORATA sp FIREWORKS (Hillstream loach) $8 each or 7 for $48

XIPHOPHORUS HELLERI - (black Moscow swords / black velvet swordtail) $6 each
XIPHOPHORUS HELLERI - (red velvet swordtail) $5 each
XIPHOPHORUS MACULATUS - (red-wag platy) $4 each
XIPHOPHORUS MACULATUS - (Electric Blue platy / Platinum blue platy) $5 each

Dumbo-eared firecracker guppies $15 a pair
MGA dumbo.jpg
Dumbo-eared Firecracker Guppies.

Synodontis petricola $7 each for 2-3 inch fish.

All fish are home grown, tank raised.
Please respond in this thread (preferred) or email me at aquaticlifefarm@gmail.com

Last edited:

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have some in a wading pool that are still thriving, but when they get too cold and I am not sure but I think when the water get below 68F they will switch to sexual reproduction., In sexual reproduction they produce tiny black egg cases that can survive freezing and drying. Under the right conditions (mainly around 75F) the eggs hatch in about 8 days. When the population is at ideal conditions all the daphnia are females who drop babies every three days by asexual reproduction. Mles are produced only when the culture is experiencing some condition they do not like. The egg cases provide them a way to survive.

Becca

Members
I have some in a wading pool that are still thriving, but when they get too cold and I am not sure but I think when the water get below 68F they will switch to sexual reproduction., In sexual reproduction they produce tiny black egg cases that can survive freezing and drying. Under the right conditions (mainly around 75F) the eggs hatch in about 8 days. When the population is at ideal conditions all the daphnia are females who drop babies every three days by asexual reproduction. Mles are produced only when the culture is experiencing some condition they do not like. The egg cases provide them a way to survive.

Oh, cool! I was considering dropping them in my 30 gallon tub, which is a bit full of algae right now. It has a small pump-driven filter box in it and I wasn't sure if they'd just all end up sucked in or be too cold. I've tried keeping them indoors but I can never seem to keep them fed well enough.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If they are indoors and warm and you dump them into a much colder outdoor pool, they will probably go to sexual reproduction immediately or die. Acclimate them like you would fish when changing from one temp to another.

Becca

Members
If they are indoors and warm and you dump them into a much colder outdoor pool, they will probably go to sexual reproduction immediately or die. Acclimate them like you would fish when changing from one temp to another.

Got it- float them and follow the acclimation instructions! I will happily take another bag from you. I can't feed them all out at once, so I'm looking for a strategy that would allow me to keep them alive for a few weeks (at least). Even with the pea puree in your feeding recommendations, I can't seem to keep them fed indoors (likely because I forget to check them daily due to work, kids, dogs, insanity). I've tried them in well-matured tanks with sponge filters on a low tumble. There was one time I had them going very well and the power went out while I was at work (I smelled them before I saw them). One other time I had them going out in a floating basket in one of the ponds and the pump fell over. Despite being near the surface, I think the combination of heat and lack of surface movement did them in.

AAAAAANYWAY - long story short - I would like to give a bag of daphnia another try.

MHMoro

CCA Members
Hi Frank,

I will like

6 Melanotaenia parva (Red-orange rainbow fish) (6 for $45) and 2 bags of daphnia, total: $ 55.00

Thank you,

Manuel

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Remember this meeting is just a few blocks down the road west of the usual location for the meeting. It is at

Glenallan Elementary School
12520 Heurich Road, Silver Spring, MD 20902. at the corner with Randolph Road

MigsAbFab

CCA Members
Hi Frank

Can I please get:

Corydoras pygmaeus 3 x $5 each =15
XIPHOPHORUS MACULATUS - (red-wag platy) 2x $4 each = 8
Synodontis petricola 1x $7 each = 7
Opaline (blue) gouramis 1x $4 each = 4
Total: 38$
Thanks!
Miguel

F8LBITE

Members
Frank I would like:

8 - Brochis splendins (AKA the emerald green cory) are $7 each
4 - Opaline (blue) gouramis are $4 each.
6 - Melanotaenia parva (Red-orange rainbow fish) $9 each for adults or 6 for $45
5 - XIPHOPHORUS HELLERI - (red velvet swordtail) $5 each
4 - Synodontis petricola $7 each for 2-3 inch fish.
4 YOUNG -ANCISTRUS sp L144, Black-eyed Yellow Bristlenose Pleco Young fish are $8 each.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I got all orders above bagged and ready to go. See you soon.

Jose, I will not sell the clowns but let me think about the barbs. If I had time to bag them right now, I would. We can talk about a price at the meeting.