• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cycling with substrate

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I will have 40lbs of Caribsea Eco-Complte African Cichlid sand tomorrow. However, I was thinking that I might need another 20lb bag for my 55 tank. Has anyone use this particular product for substrate? Did you find that it helped jumpstart the cycling process?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I put some in a tank years ago. I cannot speak to the properties of "helping" with cycling a tank. The easiest way to get a tank ready for fish is to use media from an established tank. All i have ever done to set up a new tank is pull a sponge filter from an established tank and drop it in. Instant cycle.

Goonie

CCA Members
I have a 5 gallon bucket I seed filter media in.

Started with some old ff, and sponges from a tank tossed in an air stone and I drain it on wc day and refill with dirty water. Tossed in a few bags of rings and crushed lava rock and just replace it as I add it to filters.

Been working so far.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I don't live that far from Dave/Cabinetmkr39. He has let me swap a brand new sponge with him for one of his seeded sponges in the past. He has a bad a*& fish room. I will check with him when more of these social distancing restrictions/recommendations relax.