• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Corner Filter Question

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I use Poret in the mattenfilter configuration, and I love it. Haven't used one in the corner configuration, but don't see what concerns you might have. The jetlifters really move the water along, too.

Blaise

Rasta Fish

Members
IMG_20160823_214127019.jpg IMG_20160823_214048041.jpg IMG_20161216_212935830.jpg IMG_20161216_212941365.jpg IMG_20160823_214048041.jpg Yes I am using corner filter
I make my own DIY and was going to post some pictures here but it slipped my mind lol

Found some pic on my phone

Last edited:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Hmm. Yep. Never used those when doing drywall. always used the metal so did
not recognize them.
Thanks

Rasta Fish

Members
Yup plastic dry wall corners works great and cheap easy to Cut to size and with the holes when you glue it to the glass it comes through for a better hold

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have mattenfilters on most of my tanks, but only have them in the corner on three tanks. One is air driven, the other corner filters use powerheads. I wanted more water movement at lower water levels than I was getting with the air driven one. Energy costs and maintenance are way down from my days of canister filters.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I had like 14 set up in the old fishroom. I plan more soon. Still running in the temp housing.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Thanks guys. I don't have concerns per se, really just curious to know who's using them and how you like them? I've never tried a mattenfilter either.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Thanks guys. I don't have concerns per se, really just curious to know who's using them and how you like them? I've never tried a mattenfilter either.

You'll have no regrets.

Craig,

The plastic drywall corners are a brilliant option. I like how they can still draw water through them, as compared to something solid.

Blaise

FishEggs

You'll have no regrets.

Craig,

The plastic drywall corners are a brilliant option. I like how they can still draw water through them, as compared to something solid.

Blaise
If only they came in black. Could always dye them like PVC I guess but that's more work

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If only they came in black. Could always dye them like PVC I guess but that's more work

I've used clear corner guard with black foam. I find the amount of water drawn through them had they had holes in them, insignificant as compared to the amount of surface area the sponge encompasses.

Just wonder if it is easy to clean. I am thinking if you keep big dirty cichlids, the foam may get clogged up quickly and compressed, and you have to pull the big foam out frequently to clean.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Just wonder if it is easy to clean. I am thinking if you keep big dirty cichlids, the foam may get clogged up quickly and compressed, and you have to pull the big foam out frequently to clean.

A lot has to do with the porosity of the foam, what you feed, how much and how often, whether or not you have wood in the tank and if you have wood eating plecos.
When I kept royal plecos, my mattenfilter clogged more frequently than it does now. Most of my tanks are planted and have wood. I clean the filters about once a year. I have not see the water line drop behind them, but have noticed they suck in.
With large cichlids, I would use a thick foam.