• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Considering a canister filter for my 55 gallon

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Hello,

I am trying to breathe some new life into my existing 55 gallon aquarium. I am currently running to AC 110's. I have interested lately in possibly trying a canister filter. I routinely hear Fluval and Eheim as brands that many people use. I have also heard of other like Filstar and Sun Sun. However, I have zero experience with any. I like Fluval for how many of them look, but I am concerned about this rubber ring breaking that owners have to replace.

Can you make some recommendations regarding your individual experiences with canisters?

FishEggs

How is a different filter going to give new life to your aquarium?
What are you looking to get out of using a canister?

Digital

Members
Two AC110 should be more than plenty for a 55g. just curiouswhat is going on that makes you want to buy an additional canister filter

TeamPisces

CCA Members
How is a different filter going to give new life to your aquarium?
What are you looking to get out of using a canister?
There is nothing in the current aquarium right now. I just wanted to see how a canister filter work. Interested in seeing how one canister would work as opposed to two filters on top. That is okay, right?

FishEggs

There is nothing in the current aquarium right now. I just wanted to see how a canister filter work. Interested in seeing how one canister would work as opposed to two filters on top. That is okay, right?
That is totally okay. Just wanted to get to the reasons for wanting to switch to a canister before making any recommendations. Of course to compare a canister that is rated for a 55gallon to the current 2 ac110 filters you have on it will be quite a difference in flow rate.
I would recommend staying away from the SunSun.

lkelly

Members
Empty aquarium with AC 110 filters = no life
Fish added with canister filter = new life

Do the math, Matt.

Willis, you should also consider the ease of maintenance between an AC and a canister. I have used canister filters over the years and the lack of an urge to pull everything apart to clean is often my undoing. With an AC it's pretty simple to rinse the sponge. You might discover that the grass is definitely not greener when it comes time to pull everything apart.

Digital

Members
Nothing is going on in particular with the aquarium. I just wanted to try a canister filter.

I picked up a used sunsun 403b for $30 a few weeks ago. I am very pleased with it. I think they are about the same price band new as an new AC110. Give it a try. Not too bad of investment, in case you find out that you don't like canisters.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
That is totally okay. Just wanted to get to the reasons for wanting to switch to a canister before making any recommendations. Of course to compare a canister that is rated for a 55gallon to the current 2 ac110 filters you have on it will be quite a difference in flow rate.
I would recommend staying away from the SunSun.

Thanks Matt. I did not know if canisters were responsible for the really clear water I seen in some of the members' tanks.

TeamPisces

CCA Members

Do the math, Matt.

Willis, you should also consider the ease of maintenance between an AC and a canister. I have used canister filters over the years and the lack of an urge to pull everything apart to clean is often my undoing. With an AC it's pretty simple to rinse the sponge. You might discover that the grass is definitely not greener when it comes time to pull everything apart.
Thanks Lane. I have watched a few videos of people cleaning their canisters. What was inside waiting for the cleaning process varied, lol..

mchambers

Former CCA member

Do the math, Matt.

Cobalt EXT filters are easy to clean.

lkelly

Members
Thanks Lane. I have watched a few videos of people cleaning their canisters. What was inside waiting for the cleaning process varied, lol..

From this:
Baby-Potty-Training-Chair-Cute-Star-Children-Portable-Non-slip-Toilet-Seat-Brush-Children-Pee-Trainer.jpg_640x640.jpg

To This:
image13.jpg

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Willis,

Really clear water isn't so much due to what type of filter you use, as it is your maintenance schedule and what fish you keep.

I have a 65 gallon community tank with a Filstar XL (had a different name when I bought it--the one with 3 baskets). All my other tanks use sponge filters. I do 50% water changes weekly. They're all clear. However, I have additional Aquaclear filters of various sizes for occasional supplemental use (e.g., adding carbon after dosing or polyfilter after a vigorous algae scrub)

But, if you're determined to go the canister route, I can vouch for Filstar and the Eheim Classic line. Until recently, I had an Eheim 2213 (probably a bit weak for a 55) in continuous operation since 1984/5. I only retired it when I snapped a piece off while performing maintenance. I've been too lazy to replace the part.

Blaise

Becca

Members
I've found the Cobalt EXT to be pretty easy to clean. My biggest complaint is that, when you disconnect it, it tends to burp out a bit of dirty water. The trays stack very nicely and you can add whatever filtration material you want, or what comes in the box. The pump for it sits in the tank so there's no need to unplug it while you clean it. This is probably the best thing about it. Compared to the Eheim 2217 I used to have running on it, the flow is better and stays strong for longer. It is also SO much easier to clean. That said, I've been a lifelong fan of Eheim Classic. The Ecco line is terrible, though.