• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cichlasoma sp. "La Palma" fry

dogofwar

CCA Members
CIchlasoma sp. "La Palma" is an undescribed acara from Northern Uruguay. I think that they've only been collected a couple of times.

I have a pair and I think an extra female in a 2'x2'x1' tank with some Uruguayan plecos.

The warm weather spurred the pair to spawn a few days ago. This was their second spawn (they spawned last year after our move). This time I decided to pull some fry and leave some with the parents to give them some practice. They seem to have maxed out at about 4.5"

Here are some pictures from Armand Barilotti from California, who also collected them.

img_1967-jpg.787847

img_1968-jpg.787848

img_1971-jpg.787849

uruguay-2010-072-jpg.787850

uruguay-2010-073-jpg.787851

uruguay-2010-074-jpg.787852

dogofwar

CCA Members
Air temps have been about 84...so water temps have been around there to upper 70s (lower tanks). I have the dehumidifier running all of the time, which keeps humidity at 55% but also adds to the heat. I've got some fans running so it's really not bad.

It's been bonkers in terms of breeding activity this year vs. the old house / basement fishroom that was warmest in the spring / fall when the HVAC was off but never got this warm.

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
I moved a bunch of the fry to their own 10g this AM with a slowly quite mature, bubbling fine foam traditional (circular) sponge filter.

I hope that the filter gunk serves as a good grazing food for these fry (like the other Cichlasoma I've been raising).

These fry and the ones I left with the parents also got some baby brine this AM...

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Fry are still doing great! Going to the ACA so I'm going to leave them some Repashy gel food for the weekend...