1. Don't forget to vote for your favorite picture in the Photo of the Month section.
  2. CCA Breaks the 1/4 million mark! Over 250,000 posts on the CCA forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Thank you for supporting the BIG Fish Deal 5. We had a great turn out. See you next year!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Saturday, June 10 @ 2PM (doors open @ 1 PM) - JFK High School, Silver Spring, MD The Myths of Discus and the Scared Hobbyists by James Perrenod
    Dismiss Notice

CCA @ ACA 2017 and Opinions on the ACA

Discussion in 'What's happening in the ACA' started by dogofwar, Jul 7, 2017.

?

How do you feel about the American Cichlid Association (ACA)?

1. I'm a member and think it's great as-is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'm a member and think it needs some tweaks (examples?)

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I'm a member and think it needs some major changes (examples?)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I'm not a member but used to be - why did you leave?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm not a member, have heard of the ACA but have never been a member (why not?)

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  6. What is the ACA?

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. dogofwar

dogofwar President of the CCA
    Staff Member

Last Activity:
    39 minutes ago
    My daughter and I are headed to the American Cichlid Association (ACA) Annual Convention, which the Michigan Cichlid Association is hosting in Novi, Michigan this year. We hosted a very successful ACA Annual Convention in 2011.

This year, CCA is sponsoring the "Best of Division D – Africa Non-rift Lake, Madagascar and Asia" class in the fish show there. We will also be making a donation of $600 of the proceeds from the Big Fish Deal Rare Fish Auction to the ACA's Paul Loiselle Conservation Fund ( http://cichlid.org/?page_id=12).

I think that @Pat Kelly@Pat Kelly and Tracy are the only other CCA folks attending this year. Please let me know if others are attending! It's really not a bad drive (about 8 hours) and we're stopping on the way at Cedar Point...

ACA membership is I think $35 per year and includes access to The Cichlid Room Companion (www.cichlidae.com), new and catalog of past Buntbarsche Bulletin, among other things. That and support for the organization is enough for me to contribute the cost of a cup of coffee per month to it.

That said, the role that ACA has played in the hobby is different today than it was at its height (late 80s / early 90s) and membership is a fraction of what it used to be. The ACA is not a local fish club (like ours), so it's really not a competitor.

Would be great to get folks' perspectives on the ACA and potential future directions, whether folks are members and what advice that you would give the current or future Board of Directors for the ACA. The more specific, constructive and thoughtful the better...

Matt

Robinhud likes this.
  2. dogofwar

Staff Member

Last Activity:
    39 minutes ago
    Really? No input

3. rich_one

rich_one CCA Members

Richard
    Last Activity:
    Today at 3:59 PM
    Years ago, I joined the forum, but became disinterested because posting there seemed rare. Even though the 2011 event was in this area, most of their events are far enough away that I'd probably not attend. So that, combined with how infrequently the forum seemed to be used, I eventually lost interest. Now, this was a few years ago now. I haven't been in the forum in a long time, and have no idea if business picked up or not. Not much... but that's my two cents.

-Rich

4. mchambers

mchambers Occasional Corydoras Breeder / Board of Directors

Matt Chambers
    Last Activity:
    Today at 8:30 PM
    I joined because of the 2011 conference, but did not continue my membership. I'm a fish guy, not particularly a cichlid guy, and there's plenty of information about the fish I like all over the Internet. And, as @rich_one@rich_one says, the events are too far away for me to attend.

CSnyder00 likes this.
  5. Frankie Kenneth

Frankie Kenneth CCA Members

Frankie Leyro
    Last Activity:
    Today at 8:18 PM
    I just joined the CCA today. I did go and attend the ACA and had lots of fun. Look forward to getting to know more hobbyists

CSnyder00 likes this.
  6. FishEggs

FishEggs CCA Members

Matt
    Last Activity:
    Today at 9:23 PM
    Welcome aboard Frankie. :)

7. dogofwar

Staff Member

Last Activity:
    39 minutes ago