• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Caquetaia Myersi

Mrrobxc

CCA Members
Hello all. Just wanted to share some updated pics and video of my Myersi. I am liking these more and more each day. The largest is pushing close to six inches now. Definitely one of my favorites.

Mrrobxc

CCA Members
Nice fish. How's the temperament? Are they rough on one another?

They are pretty mellow with other fish with most of their aggression being directed toward conspecifics. They started as a group of eight in a 75 gallon and they whittled themselves down to these three with one clear ring that's half the size of the dominant one.

My experience with Caquetaia has been they are prone to jaw dislocation and when lip locking with other cichlids and I'd lost a nice male spectabilis to secondary diseases caused by stress due to a dislocated jaw after it squared off with a hoplarchus.

Myersi are the most stunning false basketmouths in my opinion and the hope is these last a long time and I end up with a pair. To reduce the chance of them fighting, I keep them with geo's who they ignore and Crenicichla Tapajos 1's who all kind their own business.

Mrrobxc

CCA Members
I am totally unfamiliar with these....please tell me more about them!
These are one of three species assigned to the genera Caquetaia. They are called the false basketmouths and are a cichlasomine gape and suck predator. The other two are Kraussi and Spectabilis. All three are robust fishgetting to a foot long.

You're can find kraussi and spectabilis quite easily as they are commercially bred. Myersi are WC usually and harder to source though they have been showing up about twice a year lately.