• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can you put a calvus in a all Male Peacock/Hap Tank?

lock jaw

CCA Members
So I'm curious whether it would be bad for the Peacocks or haps if I added a Calvus to the tank or would it be bad for the Calvus? All my fish are young males 1.5-3 inches. I like the way the Calvus looks and would like to see it in my tank. I have a 75 gallon tank.

Leffler817

CCA Members
How big is the calvus compared to the rest of the fish? The bigger the calvus the better, as long as the other fish are small enough to fit in the calvus's mouth. o_O Calvus are not the fastest swimmers and may get out-competed for food. Temperament-wise it would be OK, just make sure it gets to eat. ;)

lock jaw

CCA Members
As long as the other fish are small enough to fit in the calvus's mouth?? haha really?

I think the Calvus will be smaller than all of my fish like 1.5 inches. Would that be a bad idea?

zendog

I'd be reluctant to add them if they are considerably smaller than your other fish. They may get chased and out competed for food. Calvus (and all the Altos) are very slow growing. A fish that is 1.5 inches is probably at least a year old and might only get up to 2 to 2.5 inches over the next year, particularly females. Meanwhile, your other fish will be growing faster and leaving the Calvus further behind.

If you could find some males around 3" or so, they would probably be okay, but they will be expensive if you find them retail. Keep an eye on the Marketplace and every once in a while medium to larger Calvus will pop up when people change their stocking or decide to breakdown a tank, etc.

lkelly

Members
I keep an adult calvus and a compressiceps in my 100 gallon with haps and peacocks (some as big as 7"), but both are 4"+. They can definitely be outcompeted for food, but I'll disagree that they are slow swimmers. They are often stationary, but when they want to move they can be lightning fast. Watch a group of peacocks or haps try to spawn and if there's a savvy Altolamp lurking nearby it's amazing to see how quick they can dart in and grab the eggs. It's a little bit like watching a snake strike when prey is nearby.

Carolineep

CCA Members
Mmm doesn’t sound like a good idea to me if calvus is smallest fish. Mine have been on the timid side and out competed easily with more boisterous fiah.

lock jaw

CCA Members
Yup, doesn't sound like this will be a good idea. Will probably pass for now and wait till someone has a bigger calvus on sale. Thanks for the advice everyone!