• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Buying new world cichlids.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Dan Sharifi at Cichlids of the Americas has a pretty extensive list of central American cichlids. Wet Spot always has a long list of available fish. There is a relatively new supplier that I have seen on facebook call Max Cichlids. He has some very uncommon species of centrals available. Ken Davis is also on facebook and has a lot of Uruguay fish available, along with other centrals.

Mike's cichlids and Imperial also have some of the more common species available.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
Dan Sharifi at Cichlids of the Americas has a pretty extensive list of central American cichlids. Wet Spot always has a long list of available fish. There is a relatively new supplier that I have seen on facebook call Max Cichlids. He has some very uncommon species of centrals available. Ken Davis is also on facebook and has a lot of Uruguay fish available, along with other centrals.

Mike's cichlids and Imperial also have some of the more common species available.
Are you familiar with tampa bay cichlids?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have fish from both COA and Wet Spot. COA has a $100 minimum, so if that isn't an issue for you, then go for it. Wet Spot has good stuff as well. I honestly haven't ordered fish in a while from anyone other than Rapps, but now that isn't an option.

I have not heard of Tampa Bay Cichlids, but just with a quick look at their list, they don't appear to have much more than common species except for peacock bass. They get too big for any of my tanks, so I don't know much about them.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
I have fish from both COA and Wet Spot. COA has a $100 minimum, so if that isn't an issue for you, then go for it. Wet Spot has good stuff as well. I honestly haven't ordered fish in a while from anyone other than Rapps, but now that isn't an option.

I have not heard of Tampa Bay Cichlids, but just with a quick look at their list, they don't appear to have much more than common species except for peacock bass. They get too big for any of my tanks, so I don't know much about them.
Thanks for your help

AquaStudent

Members
Devin, I've been eyeing some stock at CoA. Depending on yore location and schedule we may be able to coordinate a group buy tutu reach the $100 threshold.
Want to limit it to CCA members only.
This helps cut down on shipping expenses too.
My favorite place traditionally was Rapps' Tangled Up in Cichlids. Never had a bad experience with him. I'd rather go with Dan than WetSpot if possible.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
Devin, I've been eyeing some stock at CoA. Depending on yore location and schedule we may be able to coordinate a group buy tutu reach the $100 threshold.
Want to limit it to CCA members only.
This helps cut down on shipping expenses too.
My favorite place traditionally was Rapps' Tangled Up in Cichlids. Never had a bad experience with him. I'd rather go with Dan than WetSpot if possible.
Whats funny is i have always been sketchy about ordering fish. As soon as i get ready to finally make the plunge. Nomore rapps smh.

AquaStudent

Members
It's intimidating because you generally don't get to see the fish you're buying. For the most part reputation gives me confidence.

Emilio Vasquez

CCA Members
I have done multiple orders with COA and had them shipped to Reagan national. Very easy transaction and great selection on small and large fish.
I ordered from Wet spot and all fish they sell are really small. Shipping was 65 to my door step, I believe they dont do airport cargo.

decoy50

Members
Buy from a reputable dealer/breeder and there's no reason to feel sketchy about online ordering. My closest LFS is an hour away & a $20 bridge toll - its gotten so that I prefer online. One thing I've found though is that fish almost always come in smaller than advertised & that can be disappointing. Go into it knowing that the listed size is rounded up & your expectations will be met.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Dan has donated fish to us in the past for BFD auctions, I was always pleased with the quality of what he sent. I still have some Pearsei from him in one of my tanks. He has quite the variety also.

Mike's cichlids doesn't have as much variety for NW stuff, but the quality is there. I have some young guttulatus that were donated through them. If they have something you like I'd recommend them, and they do have larger fish available at times.

As others mentioned, your experience should go smoothly if you go with someone reputable. I was very nervous/hesitant to order online too, but I've had several great experiences since I decided to take the dive.

Not saying Tampa Bay might not work out fine, its just more of a gamble with a new company.

One thing to be careful of is how/where they're shipping to at this time of the year. You don't want a box of fish sitting in the sunlight on a 95 degree day for several hours if you're not going to be home. Airport cargo is an option, or UPS and/or USPS shipments can be held at a facility for pickup. Ordering opens up a whole new world of possibilities though, which can be a blessing and/or a curse.