• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breeding Myaka Myaka cichlids from Lake Barombi Mbo

Gehandylan

CCA Members
maxresdefault-2.jpg I am thinking of investing in a group of WC Myaka Myaka adults from Lake Barombi-Mbo. Just want to know whether anyone has had success in breeding them. Everything I've read to date is quite negative when it comes to breeding them.

I've had good success with breeding Stomatepia pindu and thinking that it cannot be that much different. Oftentimes ignorance is bliss .

Would appreciate if folks could chime in on this so that i could make an informed decision on whether to invest in a Myaka group or not. They also don't come cheap.

Thanks - Gehan

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I had a small group of Myaka a few years ago and didn't breed them because I didn't keep them properly. They're quite different than Stomatepia (or Saratherodon) in behavior and robustness.

My main mistake was trying to keep them with the other Barombi-Mbo species. They really need to be on their own and in a group of at least 6. They're easily bullied by the others but pretty rough on each other (especially males).

If I were to do it again - and I was thinking about it - I'd start with a group of 6-8 little ones in a 40B or 4' tank and grow them out on their own...or maybe with some tetras or livebearers. They aren't hard to keep.

I think Greg Steves and Anton Lamboj (probably others) have bred them. Mine displayed constantly but couldn't settle down amid spawning Stomatepia mariae.

Go for it on the Myaka - they're great fish!

Matt

PS Spread the fry of your pindu high and wide! My group has produced I think all or most of the fry on the east coast and I think Greg is spawning them too!

Gehandylan

CCA Members
3690-1.jpg Thanks Matt for the tips on Myaka breeding. I've been fascinated by them for a while. Opportune time as Jeff has them. WC 1-1.5 inches and 3-3.5 inches. I am leaning towards the smaller size as they have time to grow together. Need to drum up sufficient courage to jump right in.

About the Stomatepia Pindu ....... do you strip them? If yes, when? I am still experimenting with them. Believe it or not, I keep the adult group of 16 Pindu with with 35 adult Petrochromis Red Bulu . See picture attached.

Gehan

PS. Would it be possible for u to correct the 2 typos on the subject heading of this thread?