• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Blood dragon? male or female anyone?

lock jaw

CCA Members
Hey guys,
I bought this fish from a Chinese breeder in Ashburn, VA, he told me it was a blood dragon peacock and a male. Its about 3 inches now and I'm not sure if its either of them. What do you guys think?
IMG_20180325_185814.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Hard to say since there is a huge variation in how Dragon Blood peacocks can look.

Its possible its an Albino Taiwan Reef (Protomelas steveni) though it seems unlikely a breeder would confuse the two, but they can look similar when younger.

As for sex it might be too early to tell, the fins don't look especially pointy, but sometimes that can develop later. The spots aren't indicative of egg spots since those spots also appear in the dorsal and caudal fin.

Can possibly give a more definitive answer when it gets bigger, but for now its a maybe on both.

FishEggs

The eyes aren't red so it's not albino. I'm 95% on it being a Dragon blood comparing to mine. As to male or female......? 50-50 on being male. Lol
It is a nice looking fish. If it had more pointed dorsal fin i would lean more to the male side. Looking at the color and how nice it looks im leaning towards male but would have to watch its behavior with other fish to determine.

Korey Knieriem

CCA Members
I'm fairly certain I have bought fish off the same person your talking about. Dragonbloods are strange in that no 2 come out alike. I have 3 that in patiently waiting for to color up

lock jaw

CCA Members
I'm fairly certain I have bought fish off the same person your talking about. Dragonbloods are strange in that no 2 come out alike. I have 3 that in patiently waiting for to color up
Hey Korey, is his name Jay? He lives in a house and has like 30 aquariums in his basement, also has postings on Craiglist. If so, how much does he charge you for fish? I felt he charged me more, I paid him $15 for this blood dragon when it was smaller and he said he gave me a 10% discount on top of that, since I was trading 8-9 some Mbuna.

Korey Knieriem

CCA Members
Hey Korey, is his name Jay? He lives in a house and has like 30 aquariums in his basement, also has postings on Craiglist. If so, how much does he charge you for fish? I felt he charged me more, I paid him $15 for this blood dragon when it was smaller and he said he gave me a 10% discount on top of that, since I was trading 8-9 some Mbuna.
Yes but I will respond to you in a pm