• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Block FIlter: Air/water pump

dario5678

CCA Members
Hi,

I have a block filter that I ordered from swiss tropicals. I am looking at air pumps for it. They are suggesting that I place the filter 6-12 inches above the tank. I do not have shelving above the tank or near it. For something like this could I use a water pump instead and just have the pump inside the tank?

If I must use the air filter is my only option to build some sort of shelf?

Digital

Members
If you don't put the air filter above the tank you should put a check valve in the line. It will prevent water from getting siphoned out of the tank through the airline.

FishEggs

Marlin is correct. The only reason they want you to put the air pump above is so if the pump stops for some reason, water won't siphon back to the pump. A simple check valve in the air line will prevent that from happening. Then you can put it where ever you want.
If you need or want more flow/current in the tank you can use a power head with the filter instead of the air pump.