• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Black ghost knife info needed

I'm thinking about getting a black ghost knife for my 120 gallon. Dimensions are 48" long 24"wide and I think its 24 or 26" high? Anyway from my research it seems like he will be OK with
1-severum
1-blood parrot
1-jack Dempsey
1-cutteri cichlid
1-kirin parrot
1-common pleco
8-12-rainbow fish
None of the cichlids mess with the pleco so I'm assuming they won't mess with the bgk. Plus they stick to them selves. I have 2 canisters and a few plants ( amazon sword and java ferns).

I was thinking of starting him off in my 20 gallon and hand feeding him or at least pellet training him.I have plenty of rock work for him and I'm not against adding more driftwood for him but my family wouldn't be OK with an unnatural tube for him.
So would he be OK in this setup? (I'll post a pic of the tank if needed)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Greengirl

Members
Hi there, I have a black ghost knife in my 55 right now. He lives with pretty passive fish. A trio of large angelfish, 7 kribs, a pleco, diamond tetras, and a rainbow shark. He is currently 6.5 inches long. He has a big central decorative insert that is his domain, none of the other fish really swim in it so he has a safe place to hide when he wants to. It is a smooth surfaced insert. Ghost knives have no scales and are likely to accidentally scrape themselves on random rough rocks, so the rocks might not be best for him.

I would also worry about putting a ghost knife with such potentially aggressive fish. Ghost knives are essentially blind and cannot compete for food easily. They can also be picked on during the daylight hours as well.
If you want one, make sure there are tons of caves for him and places to hide. You might not see him often because of that, but it will make him happier. add tall plants to shade him from the direct rays of your tank light as well. Also, try to get a bigger sized one because the smaller ones will be more susceptible to attacks if you still plan to put him with these fish, the bigger ones can better defend themselves. They will also attack other fish at night and eat their eyes if he is not well fed. I feed mine with a turkey baster. He practially nurses from it like it is a bottle, I feed him soft defrosted frozen foods.

In general, I would not put a ghost knife with those cichlids, their water preferences are just too different. Ghost knives like a neutral PH. I hope this was helpful.

Greengirl

Members
I take back my comment about water parameters. The water would be fine for all of them, but the other fish are too aggressive.

From my research people keep them with cichlids with success it just depends on the cichlids. The cichlids stick to themselves with aggression. The Pleco never gets attacked. I was going to hand and pellet train him in my 20 gallon long to make sure I get him food. I do have an extra 55 gallon if anything bad were to happen.

It depends on where I buy it from. If I can find a large one online I'll get it online but if I can't find any it'd be from petsmart.

Also is it gonna overstock me BC a 120 is as big as its gonna get for a while.

Greengirl

Members
Where are you located? Congressional Aquarium on rockville pike sells great Ghost knives. I got mine from them 9 months ago and he is as healthy as can be. I bought two from petsmart and they both died within two months. They always look a little fragile to me at Petsmart.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't have much experience with BGK's, but I wouldn't put one in with the stock that you have. You have some potentially aggressive fish in the mix already, and the knife is certainly going to be on the bottom of the pecking order. If it doesn't get killed straight out, it would be stressed pretty heavily.

OK would a peacock eel or 3 rope fish work then? I want a cool oddball on for the bottom of possible

Forester

Members
I have a young ornate bichir that will hold his own with those fish. he is about 10 inches long right now. pm me an offer if your interested

I rescued the plwco from a friend and I want to give him a good life.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
black ghosts knifes are cool but, I have a friend who bought a bgk for his 125 with 3 pbass. the next morning he found the bgk feasting on the eyes of his pbass.