• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

BFD AQUARIUM BEAUTIFUL CONTEST

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The Big Fish Deal is an event to bring together aquarium enthusiasts and transform the Gaithersburg Hilton into an aquatic paradise on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, March 4-6, 2016.

The aquatic paradise will be in the hotel's lobby. We need your entries in the AQUARIUM BEAUTIFUL CONTEST to fill and decorate the lobby. I am sure you have enjoyed looking at the entries in all the previous contests. They are mostly fantastic and usually you learn how many different ways there are to set up an aquarium.

Please participate this year. We need at least 15 entries to make the hotel's lobby look good. If you cannot bring one yourself, help someone else, encourage someone else to do so. Or join forces with a friend and bring one between you. You can figure out later who gets the prize or how to split it.

If you need help after you get the tank to the lobby entrance, we can help you move it from the car or truck into the lobby. Just let me know. There will be a hose with water from the hotel available to fill your tank. We have used the hotel's water for a few years now without problems. You will need something to remove chlorine and such.

We will have ribbons for first, second and third places in each of 6 classes. We've added a Planted tank class this year. There will be prizes for BEST IN SHOW, PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD, and Aquatic Gardners Association (AGA) winners. THe AGA prize will go to the best planted tank.

Class 1 NANO TANKS _____UNDER 10 GALLONS
Class 2 MEDIUM TANKS ___10 TO 29 GALLONS
Class 3 LARGE TANKS _____30 GALLONS AND LARGER
Class 4 CARES TANKS _____ANY SIZE TANK AND AT LEAST ONE
CARES FISH

Class 5 THEMED TANKS ____ANY SIZE TANK AND ANY DECOR AND
A THEME NAME

Class 6 PLANTED TANKS ____ANY SIZE TANK AND LIVE PLANTS

You can enter a tank in all classes that apply. For instance, a nano tank with CARES fish and live plants could be entered in classes 1, 4, and 6.

You can enter as many tanks as you want to enter. No limit.

Please enter you tank or tanks by responding to this thread, or if you want to keep it secret until show time, just email me at cowherdfg@gmail.com All I need is Class or Classes and tank size and your name.

You can set up in the lobby starting at 5PM on Friday March 4, 2016. Bring a power strip for the number of plugs you need to plug in (heater, light, filter).

If you have questions, email me at cowherdfg@gmail.com

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks, Frank, for posting this up.

Folks, remember that Class 6 is sponsored by the Aquatic Gardeners Association and the class winner will receive a separate prize for 1st place courtesy of the AGA!

dogofwar

CCA Members
We always get some amazing entries in the Aquarium Beautiful Contest.

The best representation of our clubs and our hobby are beautiful tanks and welcoming, helpful people. Literally hundreds of folks attending the convention, swap meet, staying at the hotel or just stopping in to take a look see the tanks we set up in the lobby. And they're blown away.

If you run an LFS or breed or sell fish, what better way to show off your wares? (and provide a preview of what's for sale on Sunday)...

There's a Petco $1 per gallon sale going on now :)

Matt

Leffler817

CCA Members
After Frank challenged all the BOD to participate.... challenge accepted, sir! I just don't know yet what size/type of tank all do. Maybe I'll put the tank that I scored at the Christmas party in. Hmmm....

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I am bringing a 6 gallon cube and maybe a medium tank too.

I have gotten two entries already (one nano and one over 30 gallon), not including mine and know of another entry being set up at her home to be sure the plants look right for the show.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
One month to go.

One month until the AQUARIUM BEAUTIFUL CONTEST tanks are being set up in the lobby of the Gaithersburg Hilton to turn it into an aquatic paradise.

Right now we have the following entries:

Nano Class four entries including two from new CCA members
Medium Class three entries
Large Class one entry and it is big
CARES class no entries
Themed class three entries
PLANTED class sponsored by AGA four entries

We also have two promised entrants. :confused:

If you think you can design and set up a decent looking tank, please sign up for the contest and help make the lobby look great. Then go around and look at the other entries and get some great ideas on how to aquascape your next tank.

Please sign up in advance, but if you can bring a tank, just bring it. I will have a sign up sheet at the door. You can bring a tank at the last minute, sign it in, set it up and be in the contest. We do have some good prizes.

Tanks must be signed up in one of the first three classes, related to the size of the tank. These tanks can also be entered in any of the other three classes as long as they meet the requirements for the additional class.

If you have questions, email me at cowherdfg@gmail.com

Frank