• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Been To That Fish Place, Lancaster?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Dry good prices great.
Tank prices not so good.
Fish quality better at Walmart.

I've been going there since 1980.

Charlutz

Members
I go up there probably twice a year. It's a nice drive, scenic til you get to Arsenal Road. Prices are great. Perfect if you are doing a new tank setup as you can load up on gravel/sand, bulbs and other items that are typically expensive to ship. The fishroom is very good, but it used to be better as the fish used to be 50% off every weekend. They do get some fish occasionally that you don't see elsewhere. Some of the senior staff are very well educated. The guy that runs the fish room is real good. Most of the fish catchers/baggers are young teens. If you are honest, you may have to tell them that your fish are $15 each and not $2 each. The mixes in the tanks sometiimes leads to the inexperienced staff mismarking fish.

There can be long lines for getting fish, but they use a take a number system and announce numbers over the PA. If you have limited time, check to see what the wait looks like first, get a number and then go get your other stuff. If you have younger kids with you, they have a petting pond with starfish, horseshoe crabs and some other kid friendly animals. There are display tanks located throughout the store some of which are spectacular. Take an extra $50 because you will want to stock up on food, meds, test kits once you see the prices.

Thanks for a quick review of that place

do they have much fish or jsut typical lfs around here...which they sucks

What you mean fish better in wally world?

Any other attraction around there? I am trying to plan aka convinced me wife to go along. haha

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I usually go about 6 times a year.
We used to have several of the employees there come down for meetings. Most are gone now. I also stock up on some things but I have really cut back since they stopped using Kingfish Services. To me the fish room has not been good for fresh water since they moved into that building. I look at things like the Demasoni that they have had the last year or so and see that they have no stripes or the horizontal stripes instead of verticle and wonder what they really are. If you look at the lables on the tank, you see that most of the fish come from the some of the Florida farms that most stores will no longer use. Just not a good feeling any longer.
With the quality of fish, cutting Kingfish, and seeing more dog and less fish stuff every year, I get the feeling that it's slowly turning into a Pet Smart/Walmart.

Used to be a great place to go.

They did sponsor us last year, but nothing this year.

As far as other attractions.... Go to the other side of Lancaster and you find a big tourist area.
PA Dutch area. Ride the back roads and pass a lot of Amish / horse and buggies. Beautifull farms with no electric.
I always like the antique rail road up there also.

I usually go about 6 times a year.
We used to have several of the employees there come down for meetings. Most are gone now. I also stock up on some things but I have really cut back since they stopped using Kingfish Services. To me the fish room has not been good for fresh water since they moved into that building. I look at things like the Demasoni that they have had the last year or so and see that they have no stripes or the horizontal stripes instead of verticle and wonder what they really are. If you look at the lables on the tank, you see that most of the fish come from the some of the Florida farms that most stores will no longer use. Just not a good feeling any longer.
With the quality of fish, cutting Kingfish, and seeing more dog and less fish stuff every year, I get the feeling that it's slowly turning into a Pet Smart/Walmart.

Used to be a great place to go.

They did sponsor us last year, but nothing this year.

As far as other attractions.... Go to the other side of Lancaster and you find a big tourist area.
PA Dutch area. Ride the back roads and pass a lot of Amish / horse and buggies. Beautifull farms with no electric.
I always like the antique rail road up there also.[/b]

cool..good to know. I might take a trip up sometimes next weekend, maybe..anyone want to buy anything....make your order..

Charlutz

Members
I agree on the downturn in the fish stock. I used to buy a lot of fish from them ten years ago, but it's dropped off. You can still find some decent fish, but you have to look and get a bit lucky. They used to carry some interesting wild caught africans (saw full grown white calvus and ngara peacocks years ago).

The other "attraction" for us is outlet shopping. If you go another half hour past TFP, there are two large outlet areas. The first one is smaller, called the Tanger outlets I think. Another 15 minutes up the road is a monster outlet. My wife goes nutty in the Pottery Barn outlet as the furniture is all marked way off. Before you get to TFP, on Arsenal Road is a large Harley Davidson place, if that's your thing. Not sure if it's a dealer or maybe their headquarters? We've been up there when they are having large events and they are very well attended, with hundreds of Harleys on the road.

I agree on the downturn in the fish stock. I used to buy a lot of fish from them ten years ago, but it's dropped off. You can still find some decent fish, but you have to look and get a bit lucky. They used to carry some interesting wild caught africans (saw full grown white calvus and ngara peacocks years ago).

The other "attraction" for us is outlet shopping. If you go another half hour past TFP, there are two large outlet areas. The first one is smaller, called the Tanger outlets I think. Another 15 minutes up the road is a monster outlet. My wife goes nutty in the Pottery Barn outlet as the furniture is all marked way off. Before you get to TFP, on Arsenal Road is a large Harley Davidson place, if that's your thing. Not sure if it's a dealer or maybe their headquarters? We've been up there when they are having large events and they are very well attended, with hundreds of Harleys on the road.[/b]

oh well not a big fan of harley or bike for that matter...but outlet store might be the ticket to take trip up that way> Using the pretext going to amish country and outlets.....stopby the tfs just to check it out..maybe pick up a few dry goods..food/med and eheim parts

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The Harley place it the Headquarters/ factory in York Pa. Never been in there. I usually bypass that part of 30 by getting off I83 onto Market street and go west about 2 miles past all the shopping areas and then take 24 north about a mile, I think lol. Brings you back to 30 after all the lights. Cuts about 5 minutes off the trip for me. Less traffic than Arsenal road area.

Spine

Members
The Harley place it the Headquarters/ factory in York Pa. Never been in there. I usually bypass that part of 30 by getting off I83 onto Market street and go west about 2 miles past all the shopping areas and then take 24 north about a mile, I think lol. Brings you back to 30 after all the lights. Cuts about 5 minutes off the trip for me. Less traffic than Arsenal road area.[/b]
Taking this route might not be such a bad idea. I've gone to TFP on the same weekend as the Harley Davidson open house(Held every spring) and it took 50 minute to get from 83 to That Fish Place going down 30 because of all the bikes (Normally takes like 10 minutes). I think its better to get there as early as possible.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay,

Maddog and I stopped by there today. Happened to be coming past there.

Prices jumping. No longer a good deal on some things.

Aquaclear 110
I bought 1 a year ago. $38.95
I bought 1 about 6 months ago $47.95
Todays price up there is $79.95

\

Charlutz

Members
Okay,

Aquaclear 110

[/b]

The aquaclear prices are not a good barometer of overall prices. AC's increased everywhere. Rumor is that Hagen is price enforcing the online shops to meet the prices charged by the brick and mortar retailers. This happened within the last couple months. Petsmart.com, drfostersmith.com and Bigalsonline saw similar increases and all are charging $63.99. There have been threads about this on the net, including a current one at cichlid-forum. I'm not sure you can find it anywhere for under $60 or so. TFP's website also lists it at $63.99. Strange if their in store price is higher.

<div class='quotemain'>Okay,

Aquaclear 110
What will it be by next year.

Damn that place has changed. Not for the good.

Did not look at other items. Got disgusted by the greed and left.

Remember to support the stores that support you.

[/b]

The aquaclear prices are not a good barometer of overall prices. AC's increased everywhere. Rumor is that Hagen is price enforcing the online shops to meet the prices charged by the brick and mortar retailers. This happened within the last couple months. Petsmart.com, drfostersmith.com and Bigalsonline saw similar increases and all are charging $63.99. There have been threads about this on the net, including a current one at cichlid-forum. I'm not sure you can find it anywhere for under $60 or so. TFP's website also lists it at $63.99. Strange if their in store price is higher.
[/b][/quote]

yup....this is why ...i am switching to canister...i bought an ac50 like 1.5 years ago for like $20 LOL

Andrew

Members
Hagen, the manufacturer of Aquaclear, Fluval, Marina, and several other brands, is now selling direct to stores and other outlets. They have dumped their wholesalers. What this means is that the stores can actually compete with large online suppliers. In fact, I am paying exactly the same price for these filters as is TFP and other vendors. For the first year of direct sales, everyone is paying the same. After the first year, the purchase price will depend on the amount purchased in the first year. For now, the only difference in price comes from the margin that each retailer hopes to gain from the sales. For the moment, you will probably find that everyone's prices (including mine) are within about 10% of each other.

For everyone who has become comfortable buying their pet supplies online, watch the next few years very, very carefully. There is a new trend of major manufacturers dropping wholesale distribution and going direct to the retail outlets. It is the layer of wholesale pricing that forces the significant price difference between online sellers and independent shops. Online sales by a number of internet and big box retailers have so badly damaged indendent and small chain stores that the pet sales ntaionwide have plummeted. Why? Because no one starts their first aquarium by shopping online. So the total number of people keeping aquaria has dropped. It took a while, but the major manufacturers have started to notice this trend and are starting to address it. In fact, some of the major manufacturers and their distributors are preparing to find ways to attract new hobbyists so their market doesn't completely disappear in the next ten years.

This story developing...

To validate what Andrew has said. While my industry is not pet supplies, instead outdoor sports (hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, etc.) the manufacturers have been very cautious about selling to "online only" commerce.

Brick and mortar retailers that have gone to the web to increase their business, has been acceptable. But, those without store fronts, have been shunned to protect the independent dealers that have made the "real" investment. As Andrew also said, the backbone and initial service in my customer base is similar as the pet business.

You find your way into a hobby, whether tropical fish keeping or gamefishing for bass and marlin, from your local retailer that provides you with his knowledge.

Buying on line can be cheaper. But if there isn't a storefront that you can walk into, the risk for satisfactory service and product gurantee can be high.

That is why manufacturers have created a "map" (Manufactures Advertised Pricing) pricing program. Gives the big guys and the small guys an even playing field. Those retailers who are sharp and work hard, no matter what their size, normally survive and thrive.

As Charlie also mentioned, that is why a shop like TFP has very good pricing on some things, and not so good on others.

Support your neighborhood lfs. :D

My main reason of making a trip up there is like going to an aquarium place...to check it out fish. The problem with a lot LFS around me is getting dry...same darn fish that no one buy for past 3-4months..and the price you tell me..selling for $40-50 a pop...about the almost the same price if i ordered online(at least they offer better quality) ...and maybe half the price if i purchased from a breeder...
It's a free world...whoever come up with best idea to attract customers survived....
support local business is one thing...drying me out the bank is another...

you want to be competitive? ....Then has some competitive pricing and quality......

I hate the whole support your LFS clinch' thing when :
a) their price is as high as usual
b) quality is as bad as rest of the peeps
c) same shit every other store...

c) same shit every other store...[/b]

Get rid of them all...where would you go? The hobby would dissapear.

I'll bet that Exotic Aquatics (or whatever it's called) in North Plaza has more folks going through there on a Saturday than any web site fish seller on the net sees in a week. The window shoppers may not always be buying, but they are drawn into the hobby.

We need the LFS. You have the choice to shop wherever you wish. But, WE NEED THE LFS TO BE THERE FOR US.

mscichlid

Founder
As I love going to the lfs to satisfy my impulsive desires or other fishy needs, there is no way in hell that I will pay $49 for a 50 watt submersible heater. (whatever).

Francine