• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bags Per Box

dogofwar

CCA Members
What is a good planning factor for bags per box for a standard styro shipping box?

The bags in question would be large enough to accomodate 4-6" fish on an airplane (i.e. couldn't be packed too tight).

A friend in California is planning on packing a couple of boxes of fish to check as luggage on her trip here...

Thanks,
Matt

longstocking

Members
hmmmm 4 to 6 inch fish? not a lot. How big are these boxes. large box 12 or so

It all depends on the fish as well. if I was doing this... with lets say tropheus. 4 inch fish.... 12 is the max I think I would do. I play if fairly safe when I ship .... so maybe more.

Sonny Disposition

The other thing to keep in mind when bags are traveling by air is that the bags expand with increasing altitude. You need lots of air in the bags for the fish, but don't twist the bag closed too tightly. You need a little give in the plastic so the bag doesn't break.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Feb 14 2008, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hmmmm 4 to 6 inch fish? not a lot. How big are these boxes. large box 12 or so

It all depends on the fish as well. if I was doing this... with lets say tropheus. 4 inch fish.... 12 is the max I think I would do. I play if fairly safe when I ship .... so maybe more.[/b]

mscichlid

Founder
In my opinion, 4 - 6" fish to a box should be enough. You know the drill about 2/3 air, 1/3 water, so I won't mention it
here. :) If there is a space in the center, fill that space with a bag of air to keep the other bags from sliding around during transport. Triple-bagged each individual and have enough water in the bag to cover the fish in case the box is set on it's
side. The inner box should have a box bag (large trash bag will suffice in a pinch) to encompass the fish bags to prevent water getting through the stryro onto the cardboard. No carrier likes to see a wet box or know of a box that has potential to leak. Or you could do two to a box to expand their accommadations. The heat pack should be taped to the top of the styro over a 1" hole that you cut into the styro lid before taping it shut to ensure that the pack will work for it's reccommended time. Just throwing the heat pack in the box will not work because the pack will use up the available air in the styro and subsequently stop working. Don't worry, the outer cardboard box will allow for air exchange because it won't be air tight anyway.

I hope you understand the babble.

Sonny Disposition

From you it's not babble, it's words of wisdom.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Feb 15 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In my opinion, 4 - 6" fish to a box should be enough. You know the drill about 2/3 air, 1/3 water, so I won't mention it
here. :) If there is a space in the center, fill that space with a bag of air to keep the other bags from sliding around during transport. Triple-bagged each individual and have enough water in the bag to cover the fish in case the box is set on it's
side. The inner box should have a box bag (large trash bag will suffice in a pinch) to encompass the fish bags to prevent water getting through the stryro onto the cardboard. No carrier likes to see a wet box or know of a box that has potential to leak. Or you could do two to a box to expand their accommadations. The heat pack should be taped to the top of the styro over a 1" hole that you cut into the styro lid before taping it shut to ensure that the pack will work for it's reccommended time. Just throwing the heat pack in the box will not work because the pack will use up the available air in the styro and subsequently stop working. Don't worry, the outer cardboard box will allow for air exchange because it won't be air tight anyway.

I hope you understand the babble.[/b]

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks for the info!

Is that four bags of 6" fish per box?

Looks like we're back to shipping Fedex, so number of bags per box is really important (try to fit as much as possible in a single large box)...

mscichlid

Founder
Yes that is four bags of 6" fish in a typical box. The bigger box could hold more by adding a .25 thick wad of newspaper on top of the bags and packing it the same as the bottom. Hans and Ron are the kings at shipping. Perhaps they will chime in with their advice. (There are other folks here who know how to ship properly, but I have only eyeballed these guys actually doing it). As far as I can remember...:)

Ooooo...FedEX! Mucho dinero!

longstocking

Members
I've had people ship me 6 ( pro's ) ... 6 inch fish in a box and I have done the same (I'm not a pro but i ship weekly... so fairly experienced in this area). Now if these were Xenotilapia or something like that... I wouldn't do that. If you super size your box... you could fit more in.

JustRon

Members
Yeah, you could place 4 fish in 4 separate bags, use quarters, double bag them with paper between, 1/3 water, clean for 2-3 days prior, ship away.

animicrazy

Members
Hint:

tie the bags......................-..............................or none of the great advice given will matter.

Paul.

longstocking

Members
oh no.... please use a rubber band ! You yon't NEED one... but I strongly advise it ! Twist tight... then rubber ban around the twist a couple times fold down then rubber band a couple time over that loop. Hope that makes sense. I received tons of bags leaking all over the place... when I first starting shipping I thought it didn't matter how... ha.... fish made it but customers don't like water every where :lol: Don't blame them :lol:

I noticed at the last meeting you know how to tie bags.... so no worries on your end... just your friend ;)

cyradis4

Members
Lol..... He means rubber bands..... We once got a shipment where we lost a few fish, and nearly lost more, due to water loss from the top of the bag..... Ever since, he has been really anal about how the bags are sealed. Of course, so have I!

Later!
Amanda, offspring of the Mad Scientist.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks for the clarification!

Some people (maybe they're professional balloon-animal twisters :) are able to seal bags by just tieing knots in the top. I'm not that dextrous!

Thanks,
Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyradis4 @ Feb 20 2008, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lol..... He means rubber bands..... We once got a shipment where we lost a few fish, and nearly lost more, due to water loss from the top of the bag..... Ever since, he has been really anal about how the bags are sealed. Of course, so have I!

Later!
Amanda, offspring of the Mad Scientist.[/b]

animicrazy

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Feb 21 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the clarification!

Some people (maybe they're professional balloon-animal twisters :) are able to seal bags by just tieing knots in the top. I'm not that dextrous!

Thanks,
Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyradis4 @ Feb 20 2008, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Later!
Amanda, offspring of the Mad Scientist.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

"Tying" is a dangerous practice - I don't care how good they think they are. When I ship I bag as appropriate, and then add another bag.

Paul.