• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bad Day

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So folks, I think this is officially the worst day of my fish keeping life, and maybe my life in general.

I had company coming over today and I have known this for the last few days. I did water changes and pre-scooped the plecos this company was buying from me into a 10 gallon tank and did a water change in the 30 gallon the plecos and dempsey fry are being held in. Did almost an 80% water change, which is common in that tank, with no issues.

Today I needed to clean the 75 gallon tank that houses my Tangs (Ocellatus Gold, Julidochromis Dickfeldi, and Synodontis Petricola) because I have noticed a higher amount of algae and my nitrates have been high. I've had the inhabitants in this tank for a number of months and have done major (50+%) cleanings on this tank before without issue. Today when I took down the rock wall, the stuff (poop, old food, etc) behind it was especially bad. Bingo! Now I was sure I knew why I was having algae and nitrate problems. I did what any good fish keeper would do and cleaned it all, including stirring the sand (Again, have done this before in this tank without issue). I got down to about 20% of the water left, which I figured was sufficient and then started filling up the tank. I realized I hadn't gotten a few chunks of gunk, so I syphoned off those as well and then continued filling the tank. As I got about 80% of the way filled, I realized that there was a problem. The fish had labored breathing, and one of Julies started to go belly up. I went into emergency mode and started doing everything I could think of. I adjusted the temperature of the water up, because it measured 4-5 degrees low. I turned bubblers on, added extra water conditioner, I did all I could.

Before you finish reading and call me a complete idiot, keep in mind I have done 60% or more water changes on this tank and many others without issue. I know these fish tend to be sensitive, but in an established tank with water they have been acclimated to, it has never been an issue.

I pulled everything back out of the tank and moved the survivors to the 30 gallon that is kept at around the same temp as this tank that had a water change yesterday.

Well, when the dust settled, I lost all 8 of my Julies, 9 out of 10 of my Ocellatus Gold, and 5 out of the 10 Synodontis. As we speak 8 hours later, I'm still seeing some issues with the few remaining Synos even after being in the other tank for hours. The last Gold shellie is doing fine. The pH in the tap and in the tank are obviously similar, and the pH in the 30 gallon is no different. I have no idea what happened, but I can imagine the pH swing or the temperature could have done it, but who knows now. I matched the temp in the tank with the temp coming from my python while filling. I measured and it was 75 degrees, which is colder than the 80 the tank is kept at, but it wasn't that low. I kept the filter pads that were in the filters so that the bacteria wasn't too depleted. I was too worried about the fish to do an immediate test on anything else in the heat of things.

This all comes a week after I sold my favorite Jacks. My second 75 gallon tank left yesterday. I am seriously having a bad day. Combine that with my father-in-law going into the emergency room for shortness of breath in the middle of this and the Patriots coming back from a ridiculous deficit to win yet another freaking Super Bowl and I'm in bad shape. I want to quit altogether, which isn't wise. But I'm so disgusted. I know what I did wrong, and it sucks. I can't save those fish. I was helpless while I watched them die one by one. And now I'm $200+ dollars down on fish. I don't know what to think at this point. The filthiness of the tank because of the rock wall really is the thing that put me in a predicament. I had to get rid of it, but that made me take the water down lower than I wanted to. I won't ever build one that high and long again. I'm going to keep it modest. I won't ever do such a complete water change with fish that sensitive ever again. I'm just very upset with myself. I know I'll do better the next time, but for those fish, there won't be a next time. I feel so bad.

Anyway, now I have to go looking for fish again in the hopes that I can find what I used to have. Dave has the Golds, which I will probably add back in once I test the water and make sure nothing else is wrong. I'm not sure I'll do Julies again because, to be honest, they were never really my favorite. Don't get me wrong, they were cool, but had little personality. If I do the Golds, I will want tank mates with them, so I will need suggestions on tank mates. The Julies did well, but I want something better. Maybe some Calvus? I'm not sure. I just know today hurts, and I never want to have another day like it.

Some encouraging words would be nice. Tough love also accepted.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Cory

Sorry for the losses. I know it sucks when something like this happens.

Personally, I've never had losses from large water changes, but I haven't kept the specific species you mention. I've had times when I was changing water and got distracted so that tanks had only an inch or two of water left in them before I realized what was going on and never had issues like you have described.

Based on your description, and a couple of similar experiences I've seen in the past, I would suspect you forgot to add dechlorinator when you were refilling the tank.

But look on the bright side - The BFD is only a month away and you've got a whole tank to stock!

Jon

dogofwar

CCA Members
So sorry for your losses!

Open tanks are a whole world of possibilities.

Figure out which fish you've always wanted to keep and pick them up at the Big Fish Deal :)

Cheers,
Matt

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Ouch,
Sorry to hear man
You just never know with fish.
I killed 100 1.5 inch peacocks doing a water change one time. I did not treat the water. I was doing multiple things at one time and as soon as I saw it I knew I forgot the drops. Too late.
Like Jon said, only a month left to restock.

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm so sorry, Cory. Like those above, I frequently do large waterchanges on my Tangs and they do ok. I have had issues with them if there's a sudden pH change, though.

Hang in there with the hobby and figure out where you want to go with it next.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I loved my Shellies, so I'm definitely doing those again immediately. I may change around the tanks and keep my cories (fingers crossed I can find them) in the 75 and put the Shellies in the 40 breeder I am buying this week. I love the spunk those little guys and gals have. Dave Schumacher has them, so I'll probably call and order those today.

It was a rough day. Like everyone said, it's odd to do large water changes and lose fish. I've done it so many times before. Maybe I released something into the water column from the sand, maybe it was pH, maybe I should have added my conditioner before I added the tap water (usually I add it when I turn the filters back on at about 90% full). I don't know. It just plain sucks. It's really hard not to know exactly what I did wrong. I wish I knew how to correct it for next time. Maybe put a cap at 50% for a while, I don't know.

abcdefghi

Members
I feel your pain. In the middle of getting my 125G set up and stocked I did not quarantine some new angels I added. 6 dead angels, a dead tetra, about 10 dead corys and a dead kuhli loach. The remaining angels are not exactly looking 100% either.

From all the symptoms it appears I introduced Columnaris into the tank, started dosing meds on Friday, but lost one angel yesterday and another overnight so feel that there is no end in sight at the moment.

The BN plecos are quite happy though, they have spawned. Again.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - especially if you're somewhere with chloramines, make sure to add Prime (or whatever you use... I prefer Cloram-X) befor eyou add water.

Matt

F8LBITE

Members
That really sucks man. Ive lost Tangs due to temp changes and I've also lost petricolas due to temp swings as well. Take it easy and keep your head up.

zendog

Now that I'm growing out some batches of Calvus fry in breeder boxes on my Tang tank and lost a batch of fry to too abrupt a water change, I'm taking a lot more care with them. Before having fry to worry about, I wouldn't be as careful maintaining even temps and I would see the adult fish's breathing pick up and they'd hide back in the rock work, etc. when doing water changes. Now that I'm careful not to let the tank's temp swing more than a degree, they seem to have no adverse reactions. It makes sense to me since the lake is so stable that they never had to deal with it in their evolution.

I've put my cories through 10 degree swings dumping in rain water and they didn't miss a beat, but the Tangs are hot house flowers.

Maybe that, plus dealing with the untreated water while you were filling was just too much stress.

Becca

Members
Feeling your pain. Spent all weekend and today working on a 210 we picked up that was a good deal but not quite as described. Spent loads of time in the fish room and all looked well. Today, all but 2 of the juvenile Dicrossus on the rack dropped dead. The 2 remaining don't look good. All 6 were shoaling yesterday evening and looking great. All other fish in the tank look great. Did a 50% change and added some broad spectrum meds, but I have no idea what killed them.

Meanwhile, I'm still struggling to get this 210 to a point where it's functioning and doesn't look like a mud pit.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I picked up a 40 gallon breeder today that was basically brand new. I'm doing much better than yesterday. I also received an unexpected check from my insurance company for almost the exact amount of the dead fish. While I still feel bad for what happened, the fact that I broke even on the money today helps lessen the blow.

FishEggs

Youch. Sorry for the loss.
I can sympathize. Lost half my stock after a water change by filling the tank up past the filter output and my venturi air clogging. Not enough surface agitation to exchange oxygen and over night lost about 15 african cichlids.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Working on filling up. Have bought 10 more Shellies and I'm working on a new group of cories. I also have some white calvus coming. Should make up for the losses pretty well.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So folks, my plan is to keep 4 species/groups of fish: bristlenose plecos, corydoras duplicareus, Ocellatus gold Shellies, and white calvus. I was planning on keeping the plecos and cories together in my 40 breeder and the Shellies and calvus in my 75. While this is a ton of room for the Shellies and calvus, it gives them room to establish territories. Thoughts?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I'm getting 6 White Calvus, 10+1 Ocellatus Gold, 8 Corydoras Duplicareus, and then I have an assortment of plecos.