• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

are plecos over rated?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
That’s a loaded question and mostly a matter of opinion. You may not like the answer you get. Be more specific. Are you asking about them as cleaners?

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Only as a snack item. Too much work.

But most of your cichlids, on the other hand, fry up real nice.

Blaise

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I try to have multiple plecos that I move from tank to tank with my peacocks. Some of the cichlids pick on them but usually they manage to hide during the day and clean at night.
I love it when I have a tank that is getting overgrown with algae with fry and I put one pleco in there. In 24 hours the algae is gone and my bare bottom tank is covered with poo. I stick a small aquaclear filter on the front of the tank and its clean in 10 minutes.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
I try to have multiple plecos that I move from tank to tank with my peacocks. Some of the cichlids pick on them but usually they manage to hide during the day and clean at night.
I love it when I have a tank that is getting overgrown with algae with fry and I put one pleco in there. In 24 hours the algae is gone and my bare bottom tank is covered with poo. I stick a small aquaclear filter on the front of the tank and its clean in 10 minutes.
I have never not had plecos. I pulled 1 and immediately noticed less shit....but i didn't do it long enough to notice algae growth.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I love my plecos......but i did a experiment and the tank is significantly more shitty with the Pleco.
Oh yeah, your right. Most of my tanks are bare bottom and you see it but to me its easier to clean that up during water changes or with a small power filter than to clean the algae off the glass.
But that's just me.
I cant put them in the 55s. I have too many larger fish in there. They would get killed for sure.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Without BN you end up having to clean the glass by hand more frequently. The other stuff is easily siphoned out with your weekly or biweekly water changes. Without BN my tanks get so I can not see in them.

FishEggs

In my moderately planted, well filtered tanks i dont even notice the fecal matter. I do notice more algae growth due to the more light for the plants when they arent in the tanks.

Rasta Fish

Members
I am too lazy to clean my tank they keep the glass shiny for me to see my fish as a pay back for their hard work i clean up after them

Becca

Members
Becca shopping for paint at Lowes: "Do you have anything that matches this pleco poop sample? Maybe in a high gloss."

More like "do you have anything that matches this grimy finger-print smudge and duckweed spatters?"

Seriously, though, if I ever manage to replace my flooring, you'd better bet it's going to be with something that'll blend seamlessly with dog fur.