• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Arduino in the fishroom?

JasonC

Members
plantedtank.net has some great threads on it for light controllers, auto dosers, etc.

definitely want to get into microcontrollers (tho most likely raspberry pi instead) in the fishroom, but really want to make sure I have a real need before introducing another failpoint into my system.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've read a couple of threads on this, probably at plantedtank.net, as Jason says, and thought that the concept sounded cool, because I like technology and programming, but then I remind myself that it doesn't really make sense to automate something if the process of automation takes more time than actually doing the something.

I have the same problem with my computer and various programs. Does it make sense to write a macro just because it's cool? Maybe.

So, if you figure out something cool to do with an arduino or raspberry pi, let me know and I'll copy it!

chriscoli

Administrator
What caught my eye was the ability to monitor the temperature of my fishroom remotely.

Yeah, there are sensors you can buy and use with an app on your smartphone.....I've actually tried a few. I'm not impressed with them so far.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Since the OP is not a man, I thought the qualifier was appropriate.

I wasted quite a bit of time yesterday trying to write a macro in Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

:)