• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquarium As A Divider

Artee

Members
I am installing a 125 to serve as a divider in the living room.

any ideas on what kind of filtration would be suitable without having unsightly wires/hoses, hob's. tank is not drilled.

it will be for a group of fronts.

I think your best bet would include a full cabinet and hood setup. Using canisters or wet/dry with sump deal. The other alternative is use some carpenter skills and build a wing wall closet type deal and have all your filtration coming from one end instead of the backside.

Artee

Members
Thanks Bobby.

but would you have even circulation/filtration all around the tank if all the ins and out will be just on one short end ?

Andrew

Members
If you use an adequate canister filter (like the Fluval FX5) in combination with a powerhead on the short side of the tank you should have no problems, especially if you go light on the decorations.

Charlutz

Members
I'd do a tall cabinet on one end to conceal the down hoses and return for a sump in a cabinet underneath. You can plumb the return spray bar so that it sits near the water line to get circulation to the opposite end of the tank. Use 1/2" pvc, paint it black or blue with Krylon Fusion paint and have the return outlet on the far end of the tank. I'm also usually not a proponent of under gravel jets and use powerheads myself, but this would be a good application for an UGJ system.

Artee

Members
This might be the best way, but would have to contend with noise from the canister.

another idea is to just use good old sponge filters and conceal this with rockworks, I can run an airline from my basement fish room, not sure if this will be enough mechanical filtration to keep the water clear, if not, then will just go get me an fx5.

If you use an adequate canister filter (like the Fluval FX5) in combination with a powerhead on the short side of the tank you should have no problems, especially if you go light on the decorations.[/b]

maddog10

Members
I use a couple of Fluvals and they are really quiet. The painted spray bar is a good idea, there was a photo of a tank posted on Aquatic Photography Forum that used this just below the waterline along the whole rear of the tank. Had to look twice to even see it. Just wouldn't be sure if the pump in the canister has enough power, but it would give you the best distribution.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
That Fluval FX5 is nice. Know someone that has it on a 180 in PA. Keeps the tank nice and clean and is quiet too. Thought about buying one but did not leave enough room around my 150.