• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquamania questions

ddavila06

Members
ok, sos i wont go to the speakers because i dont want to, lol but i want to come browse the vendors and possibly to the ?sale"???

is really confusing...u all charge to come in and visit the vendors??? how does that work? and then the ?sale?? sorry, i just not making much sense but im so confused..

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Not sure how they have it set up this year for space but if its like last year, yes, the vendors were in the same room with speakers and you had to pay.

Sunday is a swap meet. The club provides the space. Vendors pay for a table. People wanting to buy pay to get into the room. The club does not get a cut of any sales.

Just like a gun show, pet expo, retile swap meet, boat show, train expo, etc.

ddavila06

Members
Not sure how they have it set up this year for space but if its like last year, yes, the vendors were in the same room with speakers and you had to pay.

Sunday is a swap meet. The club provides the space. Vendors pay for a table. People wanting to buy pay to get into the room. The club does not get a cut of any sales.

Just like a gun show, pet expo, retile swap meet, boat show, train expo, etc.

haha, never been to any of those. thats too bad on the vendors and stuff.. oh well. i will come to the sale for everyone on sunday i guess? i just wanted to pick up some stuff from someone..

jonclark96

Past CCA President
There will be select vendors in attendance on Friday and Saturday. Their tables will be set up in the speaker room and available to all registered attendees. There is no additional cost to enter the rooms. The Marketplace on Sunday is in a different room and the entry fee is included for registered attendees. Sunday only registrations are available if one only wants to attend the Marketplace at a much reduced rate.

Registration rates are very reasonable for the what is available as part of the event. Keep in mind that the rental of the rooms costs thousands of dollars that is offset by the registration costs. We are trying to put on an event that is a benefit for the club and its members. This isn't a huge money maker. We just barely broke even last year.

lkelly

Members
I will say, having attended last year's event, that the speakers are very worthwhile. Unless you have an uncontrolled loud swearing condition or a fear of closed spaces smaller than a medium sized hotel meeting room, you'll almost certainly get something out of the speaker presentations. My 9 year old went to all of them and rarely seemed bored or too antsy. That isn't to say that they were dumbed down to that age audience, but that they had enough visual content and entertaining side stories to augment the partial biology lessons. I'm definitely looking forward to this year's slate.

I was disappointed that it was actually cheaper to get a room that wasn't part of the group rate. Still can't figure out why. I paid the extra money but am curious why?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lkelly

Members
I was disappointed that it was actually cheaper to get a room that wasn't part of the group rate. Still can't figure out why. I paid the extra money but am curious why?

That's pretty typical. Hotels frequently offer a discounted rate for a wedding, conference, etc. That's part of the package they offer the customer that is planning the event. It isn't a guaranteed low rate, however. Travel booking sites that specialize in negotiating discounted rates (and have a lot more pull than a single wedding or convention) can often offer better. A hotel's mission is to maximize revenue and empty rooms just cost them money on heating/cooling and electricity. An occupied room at 1/2 the full rate is better than nothing.

Oh, and if you paid extra for the higher rate room (assuming the reservation wasn't nonrefundable) cancel it and book the cheaper rate.

If I book a cheaper rate and its not part of the capital cichlid block rate will I be hurting the club/event by not supporting the group rate? If that males any sense :)

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'll see if I can do something with the Hotel. Our contract with the hotel has a sliding scale of costs based on number of room nights booked, so if you cancel the booking throught the group rate, yes, you could impact the cost of the event space that the club is paying. The more room nights we have, the less the event space costs. If we hit a certain goal (which at last check we were 12 room nights away from hitting) the ballroom on Sunday will be free (versus $1,500).

JasonC

Members
yeah... there are two things that make hotels money... Food & Beverage, and Heads in Beds... most larger hotels don't charge for the meeting rooms for an event, for most clients, since they know they will easily make their $$ back on the other two categories.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Please, please, please, please folks - if you're going to stay at the conference hotel (Hilton in Gaithersburg)...and I'd highly recommend it - use this link:

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/personalized/G/GAIGHHF-CCA-20140228/index.jhtml

Your club gets credit for the rooms that you book and it allows us to get a better rate on the meeting facilities. A few room nights can make a huge difference to your club...and translate into more funds for speakers and other activities for you!

If you're on the fence about staying over, just book Saturday night. By the end of the evening, you'll be tired. And tipsy. But want to hand out with fish friends from all over the country until the wee hours. Having a room...or splitting one with a friend is well worth it!

Matt

Ading522

Members
RARE FISH SILENT AUCTION

i have a few questions about this auction..

1) what qualifies as a rare fish?

2) does the full registration package allow me to put fish in the rare fish auction?

3) is it a donation? or does the seller get a % of the sale?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
i have a few questions about this auction..

1) what qualifies as a rare fish?

2) does the full registration package allow me to put fish in the rare fish auction?

3) is it a donation? or does the seller get a % of the sale?

I have never been a fan of the "rare" fish name but its what is used at most conventions for this auction.
These are usually the fish that the sponsors donate to the event. I think there are several different vendors sending fish. Normally they pick fish that may not be in our area but its up to them what they want to donate.
We usually don't know what is coming until its here and we unbox them.

These fish are donated and the money goes to the club to try to help with the cost of running an event like this.