• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquamania newbie question

olzkool

Members
Ok so this is my first Aquamania. I am in need of a lot of fish to fill my new tanks. I am looking for some Hara's, SRT's, Cobue, maybe some Sanga or Chalosi, a group of Blue star sapphire, etc. Plus whatever other cool stuff I see there and have to have. How is the selection there? Does Dave bring a lot of stuff? Between the auction, vendors, and market place of private breeders, what is the likelihood of getting all this there? Should I place a preorder?
Thanks
Chris

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would think of it as a trip to a really big fish store that you've never been to before. There is a chance that you can find one or more of the species listed, but you can't be sure unless you preorder.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I agree, you might find it but if you dont want to take your chances defenitely preorder.
Last time I had a little list in my head of what I'd get but thanks to jeff rapps I spent all my money on catfish :D

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Sometimes it's best to participate in the group buys if you just have to have a specific species.
Dave will not actually be there. He is donating fish, sponsoring things and doing the group buy.
Same with some of the others. Hard for them to come from Texas or Oregon and bring fish to sell.

Others are coming and will bring fish plus what you preorder.

Then you have people like myself that will bring stuff for
Sunday. Not advertising. Not sure what I am bringing yet.
But will have fish and stuff to sell.

It will be fun.

olzkool

Members
Good info. Ill call Dave and get a preorder going if its not to late.

We should have a thread listing what fish members and local breeders will be bringing so we can plan accordingly. Not marketplace stuff, just fish only. I think it would be very helpful. I would much rather buy from someone here and support thier breeding project.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The problem with that, in my opinion, is that stuff never gets there. Someone else has started a thread on what they were bringing. The first few posts were people buying the stuff.

As soon as I posted what I was bringing last year, I started getting people wanting to buy up front. I want people at the event to have an equal shot at any item. This includes people that are not on this forum. I want people to register and come to the event. Not to buy my stuff online before hand.
If the club has a great turn out, then we are good.
One big event could also break a club. If we sign contracts to put on an event and no one show or signs up, then the club could be gone. Most clubs do not have the funds to put on an event like this and have it fail.
So I tell people I will be there. I may mention some of the fish I will have. But you have to be there to get them. Lol.

Its just me. I am not one that sells to individuals all the time. I like the swap meet feel. Its fun. Last year the doors opened and in a minute I had 12 people in line wanting to buy the 10 Albino Eureka males I had with me. LOL Thought there might be a fight.

At a few events like OCA's Extravaganza I have even sold out of my room. Helps pay for the weekend and I have fun doing it.

Like I mentioned. Its me. LOL

chriscoli

Administrator
Agree 100% with you, Pat! I'll be selling my stuff at the table, not before-hand for the same reasons.

Ading522

Members
So, are we getting a list of fish or stuff that would be there? Not like I would wanna buy right away, I just want to be prepared and have a list of things I want and buy and bring enough money to cover it with extras..I don't wanna go there and suddenly see all sorts of stuff I want to buy and end up not getting the stuff I really want.. Kinda like impulse buys.. I just want to be reasonable with myself and keep to budget, i also like meeting new people and seeing cool stuff..

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
Oh. I see..where are we gonna find those lists for those who will?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
Probably in the aquamania area of the forum, I think Jon or Matt has already encouraged it....you might want to search there but also keep an eye on the marketplace section too just in case someone posts there instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

olzkool

Members
I agree with most of your points Pat. I too love the swap meet feel. I wasn't suggesting a "pre buy" list. Quite the opposite. Instead a list of what will be offered there so we can plan accordingly. Again, FISH only. Not filters and lights, etc. Just fish so we can plan out our purchases better. I love Dave and his fish, I have ordered alot of fish from him. I would just like to know what local people are bringing as I would rather support club members and their breeding projects. If I don't know what's gonna be there, and I don't want to take a chance, then I'm gonna preorder everything and I would rather not do that.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It is up to the individual sellers if they post a list on the forum. It isn't a requirement that the club has placed on the sellers.

I tend to agree with Pat. The Marketplace is much like going to a fish store that you've never been to before. It would take all of the fun out of it if you already knew what they had for sale.

olzkool

Members
Ok. It wasn't meant to be a requirement, the seller can post or not post. it was just a suggestion to help some of us plan ahead.

Ading522

Members
What kind of fish do we expect to see for the rare fish silent auction? Would there be some rare African rift lake fish?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
What kind of fish do we expect to see for the rare fish silent auction? Would there be some rare African rift lake fish?

I would almost guarantee there being some rift lakers in the auction.

Ading522

Members
I would almost guarantee there being some rift lakers in the auction.

Awesome! I just registered for marketplace last week.. Is there anyone I can contact so I can register again for the full access?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Awesome! I just registered for marketplace last week.. Is there anyone I can contact so I can register again for the full access?

Great to hear! You will not be sorry. :)

Let me check around to see who the right person is to contact. I'll get back to you Aldrich.