• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AQUAFEST MADE ME WANNA AQUASCAPE

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
SO AFTER GETTING TO GO TO THE AQUAFEST, WHICH WAS A BLAST:jumpy:, I GRABBED SOME DRIFTWOOD PIECES THAT IVE BEEN WANTING TO GET TO CHANGE UP MY 120 GALLON. I WAS GOING FOR THE RIVER LOOK WITH LARGER PIECES OF WOOD AND LESS ROCKS. I LEFT SOME AS THESE WERE USED AS TERRITORIES AND HIDEOUTS. WHAT DO YOU THINK? AFTER PLAYING IN THERE I STARTED GETTING SINFUL IDEAS OF POSSIBLY UPGRADING TO A BIGGER TANK. MAYBE EVEN A HOODED LIGHT PROJECT. I DONT KNOW YET BUT IM STILL SWIRLING IDEAS AROUND IN THE POT.

PS
A BIG THANK YOU TO MSCICHLID AND DISCUS FOR THE DRIFTWOOD. :wub:

COACH ROB 002.jpg

COACH ROB 003.jpg

COACH ROB 004.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Tank is looking great man. I think there was a case of "I need a bigger tank" flu going around aquafest because I heard a few people saying that. You may have to upgrade the tank and use that tank as a grow out for your couple hundred jag and JD babies. You know you want a new project. We'll get a crew together and have it set up for you in no time.;)

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
THANKS DISCUS. COULDNT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YA. THAT MUST BE THE THE FISH FLU THAT I HEARD WAS GOING AROUND. LOL YOU ARE VERY VERY TEMPTING ...VERY TEMPTING INDEED!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Glad to help. I knew you'd put it to good use. Let me know when you have some time to check out the new Dmas pad and see the tanks.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Man, that tank is a bad mamma-jamma. Love the way you built up hiding spots and partitions while still keeping it loot natural. Great work!

chris_todd

Members
DQ, nice hardscape arrangement! It has good balance, nice proportions, and a fairly natural look to it.

Now take the next step, and come over to the green side of the force, join GWAPA, and get some Anubias, Java Fern, and Bolbitis to attach to the driftwood. :) There's a meeting this Saturday at Kris' house in Columbia, so it's in your neck of the woods. www.gwapa.org for directions and more info.

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
DQ, nice hardscape arrangement! It has good balance, nice proportions, and a fairly natural look to it.

Now take the next step, and come over to the green side of the force, join GWAPA, and get some Anubias, Java Fern, and Bolbitis to attach to the driftwood. :) There's a meeting this Saturday at Kris' house in Columbia, so it's in your neck of the woods. www.gwapa.org for directions and more info.
THANKS FOR THE INVITE TODD BUT ON SATURDAYS IM REALLY BUSY COACHING FOOTBALL. I WAS LUCKY TO GET TO AQUAFEST AS THEY CANCELLED THE GM DUE TO RAIN. IF IT RAINS IM THERE ;) BY THE WAY THANKS FOR THE JAVA FERN IDEAS.

DonkeyFish

Members
I swear. I could cry with joy reading this thread....

If you're smart about what plants you keep with your fish you will be much more likely to succeed. For Mbunas/Africans while they will shread most any leafy stem plant as a tasty snack, tougher rhiozome or rooted plants like anubias, swords and java fern are pretty safe bets. They don't much like the thicker, tougher leaves although if they were hungry enough they may try. FWIW I've never had a problem with either of those types of plants with Mbunas. But think of it this way... what's the worst that can happen? You're out $5 for a plant you tried? Best that can happen is you get a tank with some nice green happy plants to make it look more like an environment...not to mention all the other benefits of having plants in your tank!

Do it. At least try. It really isn't that hard, I promise!!!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I swear. I could cry with joy reading this thread....

If you're smart about what plants you keep with your fish you will be much more likely to succeed. For Mbunas/Africans while they will shread most any leafy stem plant as a tasty snack, tougher rhiozome or rooted plants like anubias, swords and java fern are pretty safe bets. They don't much like the thicker, tougher leaves although if they were hungry enough they may try. FWIW I've never had a problem with either of those types of plants with Mbunas. But think of it this way... what's the worst that can happen? You're out $5 for a plant you tried? Best that can happen is you get a tank with some nice green happy plants to make it look more like an environment...not to mention all the other benefits of having plants in your tank!

Do it. At least try. It really isn't that hard, I promise!!![/QUOTE

I WILL TRY SOME JAVA FERNS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. MY WIFE WAS ASKING ME WHEN I WAS WORKING ON IT WHY I DIDNT TRY PLANTS TOO. JUST NEVER REALLY EXCITED ME I GUESS NOT TO MENTION I WAS NOT TRYING TO HAVE PLANT DEBRI EVERYWHERE. HOWEVER NOW THAT ITS NOT AFRICANS I CAN RETHINK THAT A LITTLE.

Nice job DQ! Yes get a few anubias and tie them to a small rock and drop (place) them in a crevice.

IM GONNA TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND RESEARCH A BIT AND THEN TRY MY LUCK:p

Francine
CCA Founder