• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

April Meeting!

Becca

Members
OK. Got Sean's message and responded off list. I know Lawrence, and sent him a message going over our options. Here are our limitations:
1) The cold. Even though we're getting warm days, the water will probably be too cold to enter without waders. Water that's below 50F will get to you after awhile. Trust me.

2) Technically speaking, Maryland requires a scientific collection permit in area waterways. We likely wouldn't get it in time for the weekend, even if I apply today.

3) No colorful darters around here. Just dull earth tone darters.

Here's white I propose:
1) A microfishing trip to Pennyfield Lock on the C&O. Fairly short travel time, and it has a really colorful small sunfish species, Lepomis megalotis peltastes. Plus, if you fish in the riffles below the spillway, there are usually some interesting cyprinids: spotfin shiners, and creek chubs.

What would help is if there are any trout fishermen who could tie leaders on size 22 hooks, so there are enough to go around. I have some worm flavor Berkely Gulp left over from last season, which the smaller fish seem to like.

Or:
2) Go to Virginia. I would need to find a small stream close by, so as not to eat up too much time traveling. I'll ask Derek W. for a recommendation.

Bob, if you've got a rod and reel I can borrow (do you need one for microfishing?), I will look up how to tie the leaders and pick up some hooks. I'm not terrible at knot-tying and I can thread tiny needles. Sorry, I haven't been fishing in about 18 years, so I'm a little out of practice... Good thing you-tube can probably show me how to tie the right knot.

What time on Sunday was everyone thinking?

Sonny Disposition

Yeah, I can set you up.

How about we wait until we hear from Lawrence, to see what he's up for?

I also got a darter location from Derek. It's a little far-- about an hour's travel from the meeting place, up river, on the Virginia side. Does anyone know Lawrence's trip itinerary? When he needs to catch his plane back?

zendog

I think that even for microfishing we might need fishing licenses for anyone over 16, correct? I'm fine with that, since I will probably get one anyway this year. I think either a VA or MD license works for fishing in the potomac, but I'm not sure about at the lock.

Becca you could just bring a little person and hand him the rod if the constable comes along...

But maybe I have it wrong and we're okay without licenses. If it comes to a choice, I'd probably prefer to go with the VA darter location, but we'll come out for either.

Sonny Disposition

Yes. If you have a fishing rod in your hands on a trip in Maryland, VA, or the District, you should have a relevant fishing license on your person.

Becca

Members
Yes. If you have a fishing rod in your hands on a trip in Maryland, VA, or the District, you should have a relevant fishing license on your person.

Yes, I'm aware. I don't have a license, but you can get them online same-day, last I checked. I'm back and forth on this right now because apparently my hubby wants to take the kids to meet the "PJ Masks" live at a Frederick Keys game on Sunday - I'll need to see what time Mr. Kent is thinking of doing this.

FishEggs

I'm also interested in the trip.
I used to tie flies a long time ago. Like Becca, it's been a long time since I went fishing but I'd like to get back to it with my little one. Just would need to be pointed in the right direction for purchasing a licence VA and MD

Leffler817

CCA Members
I'm not sure what time on Sunday. I'm guessing Bob will coordinate it with Lawrence. I do know Lawrence does not have a flight to catch. He's driving to visit family after checking out of the hotel.

Sonny Disposition

OK. I've been in touch with him. I take it the club is taking him out after the meeting? Are you planning to keep him out late? Let me know, and I'll set a time, most likely for Pennyfield Lock. We can all meet there in the parking lot.

Here's the link for the Maryland license: https://compass.dnr.maryland.gov/

Size 12 hooks should work for most of the Longear sunnies. I have a few size 24 hooks, and I'll tie as many as I can. (We'll need those for the minnows.) I'll check tonight to see how many I have, and if I need more, I can make a trip to BassPro Saturday morning.

They don't have any leaders, so if there are any trout fishermen who have some really small hooks and can tie them to leaders, that would help out a lot. For someone with clumsy fingers and not the best close up vision, it's really time consuming, even with a hook vice.

Becca

Members
I'm still waiting for my sister-in-law to decide whether we're all going to the PJ masks thing on Sunday or whether they're going without me on Saturday...

Acara19

CCA Members
I have 4 platies I'd like to auction, how would I put them up? (they are white mickey mouse maculatus platies, one adult male and 3 babies I bred, 2 males and 1 female, the babies are about 3 months old now)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have 4 platies I'd like to auction, how would I put them up? (they are white mickey mouse maculatus platies, one adult male and 3 babies I bred, 2 males and 1 female, the babies are about 3 months old now)
Register them at www.mygroupauctions.com and bring them to the meeting properly bagged. If you have any questions about the auction site, feel free to ask, or a forum search might answer any basic questions.

Acara19

CCA Members
I tried to register for mygroupauctions... for me it gives me a warning saying it's "not secure: sensitive information could be stolen by attackers"...
would it be possible for someone to enter them for me?
I'll get pictures of them

mchambers

Former CCA member
It’s not secure for anyone, but all you are putting is an email address and a password, so I’ve decided not to worry about it. Just use a different password than you use on other sites (which is good practice generally).

Acara19

CCA Members
here's one of them as a general example of what I'm giving...
would it be possible for someone to put them up for me or no...
3 male white mickey mouse platies
*NOT FEEDERS, GOOD FOR PLANTED TANKS, GOOD ALGAE EATERS*
I just want them to go to a better home that I can't provide in a 3.5 gallon planted tank.

upload_2018-4-12_18-18-31.png

mchambers

Former CCA member
If you don’t care about the $, just bring them in appropriate bags and write DONATION on the bags,

FishEggs

OK. I've been in touch with him. I take it the club is taking him out after the meeting? Are you planning to keep him out late? Let me know, and I'll set a time, most likely for Pennyfield Lock. We can all meet there in the parking lot.

Here's the link for the Maryland license: https://compass.dnr.maryland.gov/

Size 12 hooks should work for most of the Longear sunnies. I have a few size 24 hooks, and I'll tie as many as I can. (We'll need those for the minnows.) I'll check tonight to see how many I have, and if I need more, I can make a trip to BassPro Saturday morning.

They don't have any leaders, so if there are any trout fishermen who have some really small hooks and can tie them to leaders, that would help out a lot. For someone with clumsy fingers and not the best close up vision, it's really time consuming, even with a hook vice.
Do we have a confirmation of itinerary?
Pennyfield Lock?
Sunday morning?
Time?