• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Any safe ways to test dithers?

captmicha

Members
Just thought I'd ask, is there any safe-ish way to test dithers to see if they'd likely not be killed? Besides having a lot of cover in your tank.

Becca

Members
I've never thought to test them. I usually try to pick things that won't fit in the mouth of whatever I'm putting them with.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I haven't found a real good way to do any "testing" either, but like Becca, try to pick fish that don't look bit sized. I learned the hard way that things that look like food usually will be considered food, especially for New World cichlids. I can remember years ago when I added a group of koi swordtails to a tank, only to have 2 of them immediately eaten and the other 4 being chased relentlessly. And since I had added them to a 180 gallon tank, there was no chance I was going to be able to fish them out before they were consumed. Lesson learned....

Now, I tend to stick with high bodied fish with my New Worlds (i.e. silver dollars) or smaller cichlids as dithers.