• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ACA Convention

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Convention was fun, though I was only around for friday and saturday.

Went on the aquarium/seaport excursion on friday. The aquarium was on the smaller side, but was well kept and had nice exhibits.

I also went to a LFS with a few CCA friends, was great to see a new store, they had a nice selection and well-maintained tanks.

Attended some great talks, speakers were engaging and had great pictures.

The biotope competition was interesting to see, a lot of well scaped tanks, great examples for anyone looking for inspiration.

The rental tank room was great for people selling fish, or to be able to store fish you bought, or were holding to enter in the auction. Had to reserve tanks early though, they sold out long before the convention started.

The vendor room had 8 or 10 vendors in it; plenty of fish, dry goods, and food selections available. Was good to see familiar faces and a few new ones.

The halls were lined with donated setups that were part of a silent auction. I liked the concept because the fish/plants were a separate auction from the tank, so you could still bid on the fish if you weren't local and didn't have the ability to haul a tank setup home. Great deals on both livestock and the tank setups.

BABES had a great variety in the silent auction, as well as a live auction for fish on friday night.

I came home with some books from the silent auction, a few discus from one of the auction tanks, and some multis from Mike's Cichlids.

chriscoli

Administrator
I thought it was an excellent event. I saw several really great talks and learned quite a bit about some of the fish I already keep. I brought home quite a few fish, too. Mike summarized it well.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Mike summarized it well. It was a great event with come great fish for sale. Some at a good price and some at not so good a price. The dry goods vendors were will stocked with really good stuff at good prices. Brought home some fish and some fish food. and some supplies. I really hope that other people will make the journey to this show in the future. But probably not next year. It is in California.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Everyone else summarized the event well. It was great to have so many CCA members in attendance. I picked up some geophagus tapajos from the auction and from Island Discus (vendor). I also picked up a group of astraloheros scitulus from the auction. We stopped at a few stores on the way back. I picked up some pelvicachromis nigeria red and a paratilapia "starry night."

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm sure I'm not listing them all, but I picked up:

From the auction:
Coptodon snyderae "Dark form"
Sarotherodon caroli (unfortunately they were in rough shape, so only one made it back to Maryland with me)
Yssichromis piceatus
Coptodon deckerti
Congochromis sabinae
Stomatepia mariae (I already had some but wanted a few more for the group)
Cichlasoma dimerus Belle Union
Pelvicachromis roloffi "Kolente" (another I already have but wanted to add more)
Haplochromis sp. Entebbe
Pelvicachomis teaniatus "Bova" (another I already had, but lost one of my original pair)
WC Peru festivums - none made it through quarantine :(

I won a silent auction for a tank full of west african fish:
Synodontis nigriventrus
Steatocranus tinanti (only one made it through quarantine - they were dropping like flies before we even left the hotel)
Hemichromis exsul - not really a true Westie - this is one of my absolute top bucket list fish. The female didn't make it through quarantine :(
Orhtochromis stormsi - I also lost several in QT, but still have what I believe is a pair.
Yellow congo tetras

I traded some fish for some Tilapia sparmanii

From other vendors I picked up:
Hemichromis letournexi
Sarotherodon knauerae (to add to my existing group)
Pungu maclareni (to add to my existing group)
Gold Occies (to add to my existing group)
Neolamprologus speciosus
Lamprlogus ornatipinnis
Trio of Danikilia sp. Shukoray

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Bummer on all the losses getting fish home, Christine. I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of half the fish you brought home!

Hopefully you can get some fry out of your p. maclereni group. They are one of those fish I've wanted to try for years and never found a source for them.

chriscoli

Administrator
Overall, I'd say I did ok getting them home. In hindsight, the tank of westies that I got in the silent auction was probably coming down with something. Andrew noticed that they were flashing and there was one dead tinanti in the tank already when I was emptying them from the display tank.

the festivums were a sad surprise, and I'm really upset about losing the one exsul. I'll be trying to get my hands on another pair if I can.

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Wow, impressive list and I too have not heard of many of those. Bummer about the losses. Thanks for sharing and Good luck with them.

lkelly

Members
Chris, your list looks like an accident between two Hasbro 18 wheelers carrying Scrabble games. The selection there must have been crazy. Sorry you lost some of the fish.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Tracey and I had a good time. We always like to see old friends that we only see once per year along with our club members.
We got there early Wednesday and left early on Sunday.
I bought some food but no fish.
We hit a couple local fish stores and a bunch of local restaurants.

4B2A510F-D716-4357-8C89-36E12F65AD1A.jpeg9FD762D0-2B90-4B7C-8ADE-72B3D12CAB95.jpeg1978E641-69DD-4168-B706-16995DF1E003.jpegC31BC211-89DD-41A8-9696-6298054F0AE6.jpegF2BDDF84-738B-48B1-B96D-FF95F7C5CC91.jpegB08152E7-EF9E-479E-B2D7-C10EEC179C83.jpeg30A0599B-134B-424C-83D6-A8C7D2BB5773.jpeg