• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ACA 2019 - Biotope Competition

chriscoli

Administrator
Anyone thinking about entering? I certainly am. Details on what's expected can be found HERE

But basically:

Each Biotope entry must reflect an actual limited area in a body of water, somewhere in the world, which features cichlids. If an entry is intending to represent a Central American biotope, the country, river or lake, and area within those two geographical places, must be designated in the entry. The tank must contain at least two cichlids of a species native to that biotope but can contain any number of other fish and native invertebrates which reflect as close to a realistic portrait of the area as possible. Plants, wood, rocks and substrate must also reflect the chosen biotope accurately.

Points will be awarded as follows:

1. Health and appearance of the cichlids: 60 points
2. Health and appearance of the other fish in the biotope: 10 points
3. Health and appearance of the plants or natural appearance of artificial plants used: 10 points
4. Appropriateness of the fish, plants, substrate, wood and other elements of the display: 10 points
5. Overall quality of the display: 10 points

Entrants may bring their own tanks and any other structural materials, fish and plants. Tanks will be provided in sizes ranging from 40 to 75 gallons, but no tank can be longer than 48 inches. Heaters, filters and glass tops will be provided as well. Substrate will be provided, but there is no guarantee that the appropriate substrate for all biotopes will be available. Plants will be offered for sale at a discount, as will wood. Rocks will be available in a large variety of sizes and shapes.

Becca

Members
Give me like 15 years, then I'll make it to ACA.

Wish I could just ship my 92 corner there.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I would win if I could find a fish that lives in a bare environment in the wild. LOL
Plus we may drive up north of there and explore a day or two before going to the event hotel. We usually try to make ACA conventions a vacation when its in an
area we have not spent much time in.

chriscoli

Administrator
Hauling show fish definitely changes how the trip flows and pretty much kills any opportunity for side trips.

BUT I'm intrigued by the idea of showing a group of fish....especially if those are fish that I was thinking of selling at the event, or putting in the auction.

Becca

Members
Hauling show fish definitely changes how the trip flows and pretty much kills any opportunity for side trips.

BUT I'm intrigued by the idea of showing a group of fish....especially if those are fish that I was thinking of selling at the event, or putting in the auction.

You could do side trips once your fish are settled in their tank. If they're well conditioned and it's not a completely new set-up, they should settle right in. Plus, buckets with sponge filters and battery operated air pumps go a long way. I happen to possess the only species of Tanganyikan val, if that gives anyone grand ideas.

Becca

Members
Ooooh I lost my tanganyikan val. Let me know if you have any to spare!

For you, I can always spare some, particularly if you share your secrets on getting these P. subocellatus to spawn. I have a definite pair, but they are NOT getting busy.

JLW

CCA Members
I would win if I could find a fish that lives in a bare environment in the wild. LOL
Plus we may drive up north of there and explore a day or two before going to the event hotel. We usually try to make ACA conventions a vacation when its in an

Open water fish. :)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Interested to see if charging a fee to enter will affect participation. The value is definitely there if they're providing the aquarium and materials, but I wonder about the variety being offered. Anyway, hoping to see the competition in person so I'll know exactly how everything worked out.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Its usually $25 to put a fish into a bare tank for a trophy so an extra $5 with the possibility of winning money may not deter that many people.
I wont be doing it but then I was not going to take any for a regular show.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators

Any large cichlid infested with parasitic catfish should count as a biotope for the catfish.

Freakgecko

Members
You could do side trips once your fish are settled in their tank. If they're well conditioned and it's not a completely new set-up, they should settle right in. Plus, buckets with sponge filters and battery operated air pumps go a long way. I happen to possess the only species of Tanganyikan val, if that gives anyone grand ideas.
You have tanganyikan vals? I’ll have to remember that next time I’m over!

chriscoli

Administrator
I've got two entries in. Who else is going to do one? Spots are going fast, and if you've reserved a spot, make sure you let them know what size tank you need!